Twenty-Eighth Annual Second Language Educators Conference
Date: September 23, 2017
Second Language Educators Conference (SLEC) is a professional development platform for Second Language teachers and teachers-in-training. The annual event is open to students and all area Foreign Language, Teachers of English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL), and English as a New Language (ENL) colleagues.
The free event is held on the SUNY Cortland campus. The conference fosters an environment of socialization, education, and professionalism. The program presents a keynote speech delivered by a distinguished member of the Second Language community, a variety of classroom workshops offered through mid-day, and culminates with brief closing remarks.
Conference Hours: 8:15 a.m. to 1:15 p.m.
Keynote Speaker: Norma Helsper
Keynote Presentation: Y Vos También Tenés Tu Historia: Reflections on a Second Language Class on Storytelling
- It’s Raining, Il Pleut! Keeping Students Engaged Through Project-Based Learning
- Harnessing the Power of Songs in the Spanish Language Classroom
- Co-Teaching Methods and Ideas for ENL Teachers
- Using Cartoons and Comic Strips in a French Classroom
- Authentic Texts: How to Choose Them, How to Use Them
- Oodles of Doodles: The Hidden Language of Google's Logo
- Google Tools and Other Technology Shortcuts in the Classroom
- Techniques and Online Resources for Teaching Film
- Navigating the International Waters of TESOL Professional Development
Final Remarks: Evaluation and RAFFLE!
Conference Register Here!
Conference Program (PDF)
- Patricia Martinez de la Vega Mansilla, Lecturer of Spanish, SUNY Cortland
- Paulo Quaglio, Ph.D., Associate Professor: TESOL & Applied Linguistics, SUNY Cortland
Hosted by Modern Languages Department, SUNY Cortland
Sponsored by Auxiliary Services Corporation (ASC), and SUNY Cortland’s International Programs Office, Clark Center for Global Engagement, and Modern Languages Department