Put the world at your doorstep with a degree in international studies. The knowledge you’ll gain of other people and cultures will be an asset for work in your globally interdependent world.
Our graduates work in international business and law, with government agencies and non-governmental organizations, with international organizations or in international academic centers.
- International business or law
- International organizations such as U.N., World Bank, IMF
- Non-governmental organizations such as Peace Corps, Amnesty International, Human Rights Watch
- State Department, Department of Commerce, CIA
- International programs offices at universities
- Graduate schools
- Social studies teacher for grades 7-12 in U.S. or international schools
What Will I Learn?
This unique interdisciplinary program grounds international understanding in the context of a strong liberal arts education. You will explore political, economic, and social structures of various countries and regions while examining the pressing challenges of today and gaining insight into the historical events that contributed to them.
- You’ll combine five interdisciplinary core courses with seven courses from one of 10 concentration courses to become an expert in a specific area of your choice.
- Fluency in a foreign language or proficiency in two languages.
- A wide range of study abroad and internship opportunities are open to you.
- Dual Major in Adolescence Education: Social Studies and International Studies (7-12)
- International Studies with:
- Area concentration in Africa
- Area concentration in Asia and Pacific Basin
- Area concentration in Europe
- Area concentration in Latin America
- Concentration in Geography
- Disciplinary concentration in Culture and Global Development
- Disciplinary concentration in Global Economic Systems
- Disciplinary concentration in Global Political Systems
- Disciplinary concentration in Historical Development
- Disciplinary concentration in International Health and Environment
- Create your own concentration with the help of IST faculty advisors
College is more than a classroom. Enhance your experience with these opportunities:
- Engage in independent study and collaborative research with faculty
- Teaching assistantships for internationally-related classes
- On campus and overseas international-related internships
- Conversation partners for international students
- International student orientation assistant
- Get involved in NeoVox, the international Internet news magazine