SES for Faculty/Staff
For information on posting a position for your department, reviewing applicants, and creating hiring proposals within the PeopleAdmin site, please visit:
For a quick reference to Student Employment as SUNY Cortland please visit:
Student Assistant Supervisors:
Supervising a Student Assistant can be a valuable and rewarding experience for the supervisor and the student. Research has shown a positive impact on retention and a heightened ability to build career readiness skills when students engage in on-campus employment.
As a supervisor, your connection with students provides an opportunity for you to be an impactful facilitator of the professional development and learning opportunities for student employees.
The Role of a Supervisor:
- Provide instruction on required duties and resources to complete their job
- Assist with the students’ knowledge of logging their hours in the TAS
- Monitor and approve student assistants time sheet on time (link payroll schedule)
Recommendations for High Impact experiences:
- Provide the students with a chance to interview.
- Giving them practice along the way can vastly increase their confidence as they look toward graduation
- Communicate expectations and hold them accountable: Students are learning new skills and improving their abilities.
- When they know what is expected and are held accountable for their work, they are developing an identity around their work ethic that will help them excel in their career pursuits
- Provide feedback on quality of work, time management, responsibility, communication etc.:
- Feedback is an important development tool. It allows the students to really appreciate the great work they are doing and gives them a chance to improve on any challenges they face. Additionally, feedback is a great way to give students exposure to a common practice in many industries.
- Serve as a reference.
- One of the most valuable compliments you can give your hardworking students is to be available for speaking on their behalf.