Frequently Asked Questions

I handed in a Permission to Transfer Credit from Another Institution form to Advisement and Transition.  Now what?

Please allow 5 business days for processing.  Stop back to the office to pick up your form to ensure you were approved.  If you are denied or if there are problems/concerns about the course, staff from Advisement and Transition will call you at the phone number you listed on your form.  Please keep a copy of your form for your records.   If you were approved, the next step is to register for the course at the other college.

Why does it take 5 days?

We receive approximately 900 permission to transfer requests for summer session classes and approximately 200 requests for winter session classes.  We want to provide a thorough review of each student’s request, and with the high volume, it takes some time.  You will need to plan ahead to allow adequate time before the registration deadline at the other institution. 


How do I register at the other college?

While Cortland grants permission to transfer the credit, it is your responsibility to research the registration process and polices at the other institution and to register yourself.  You can typically find this information on the other college’s Registrar’s website or by calling their Registrar’s Office.  

The course I want to take is not on the transfer equivalency charts.  Will it transfer?

The equivalency charts are a great tool, but they do not list every possible course from every college.  If you are interested in a course that is not listed on the charts, it can still transfer.  Simply print out the course description and attach to the permission to transfer credit form.  Courses will then be reviewed for equivalency; Advisement and Transition will contact the faculty department chair as needed for transfer course review.

The course is on the equivalency chart.  Why would I be denied?

Just because the course is listed as an equivalent course on the online transfer equivalency charts, you still need to seek permission by completing the form.  We review your record  against other courses you are enrolled in, how many credits you already transferred, your residency requirement in your major/minor/concentration, and forthcoming student teaching or internship requirements.   You could be denied if completing the course violates any of our other transfer credit policies. 

What if I decide not to take the course?

That’s ok, but please notify us by calling Advisement and Transition at 607-753-4726, emailing or stopping by to let us know that your plans changed.   This will help us understand your plans in case you seek permission for a different course in the future.  

What if I decide I want to take a different course?

You will need to complete another permission to transfer credit form.  Permission is granted only for the specific course(s) on the form for the specific semester you initially requested.

I’ve reached my transfer credit limit.  Can I still request permission to transfer a course?

Yes, but… the transfer credit limits remain the same.  You can transfer a maximum of 64 credits from 2-year colleges or up to 75-90 credits from 4-year colleges, depending on your program and College Catalog term.  If you want to transfer additional credit, you would need to be willing to delete previously transferred coursework in order for new credit to transfer.  Check the box on the form underneath the signature line to indicate your understanding of this policy, which allows Advisement and Transition staff to remove credit.  The courses to delete/add would be noted on a “Supplement to Transfer Credit Evaluation” form.  Discuss with your advisor if this is the best plan for you and if you will reach your total credits for graduation on time.  If so, your advisor can help you identify courses that make sense to delete – typically courses that transferred simply as elective credit.  

I took a course without permission.  Can I still transfer the credit?

While Cortland reserves the right to deny transfer credit that is not pre-approved, you can still request to transfer the credit.   You will need to complete the “Request to Transfer Credit Completed without Prior Permission” form and seek initial approval from your advisor.  Final approval is granted by Advisement and Transition.  Forms can be picked up in the Advisement and Transition office.  If you sent an official transcript to Cortland and do not have a permission form on file, you can expect an email directing you to the form.

I got a D in a course at Cortland, but I need at least a C- for the course to count for my program.  Can I transfer the course in?

No.  Even though you did not meet the minimum grade at Cortland, you still earned credit for the course with a D grade.  You cannot transfer credit for a course in which you already earned credit for at Cortland. 

I received permission for my course.  When does the credit show up on my Degree Works audit?

Once the course is complete, check your final grade in the class. You need a C- or better for the course to transfer.  Once your grade is posted, you must request an official transcript from the college where you took the course to be sent to SUNY Cortland.  This is how we know that you completed the course and that you earned a C- or better.   Transcripts can be sent to:  SUNY Cortland Registrar’s Office, PO Box 2000, Cortland, NY 13045.

Once we receive your transcript, the approved credit will be posted to your record.  All transfer courses will have a grade of "T" for transfer and will not factor into your Cortland GPA.

I want to take a CLEP exam.  Do I need a permission to transfer credit form?

Yes.  Credit granted from successfully passing a CLEP exam is transfer credit, and your record will be reviewed in the same manner to allow for the transfer of credit. 

Can I complete my final course(s) at another college and transfer the credit back to Cortland in order to graduate?

Yes.  But keep the following in mind because this can be a risky choice.  Once you leave Cortland, you only have one year to complete your requirements before you must apply for readmission to the College, pay a fee, and possibly be responsible for additional course requirements.  You will most likely be registering as a non-matriculated (or visiting) student at the other college, which means that course availability could be limited to you. Financial aid and your loan repayment timeline may be affected by this choice. Speak to your financial aid advisor about your specific situation.  If you plan to complete your final requirements elsewhere, plan ahead and work with your academic advisor.  In this situation, it is VERY important that you complete a Permission to Transfer Credit form so that the college knows what your plans are and keeps you an active Cortland student in our system.

I am a graduate student and want to transfer credit.  What do I need to do?

Graduate students should consult with and seek approval from their Graduate Coordinator or Academic Advisor. Final approval to transfer credit is granted by the student's Associate Dean.  Graduate students should complete the Permission/Request to Transfer Graduate Credit form and will need to earn a grade of B or better in the course(s).  A maximum of 6 credits can be transferred to meet graduate degree requirements.  The transfer equivalency charts do not list graduate courses, so students should be prepared to provide a course description or syllabus for the review process.