With a major in musical theatre and minors in music and theatre, our Performing Arts Department provides a foundation in music, theatre, dance and technical theatre, resulting in thorough professional training for a career in this exciting field.
You’ll work with the finest teachers of voice, acting, dance, theatre history, music history and theory, and gain a liberal arts education at the same time.
In addition, you’ll have opportunities to perform in main-stage musicals, student-directed one-act plays and choral and instrumental ensembles. A 477-seat theatre, a recital hall, a lab theatre, a dance studio and practice and rehearsal rooms will support your study.
Whether you pursue a career as a performer, work behind the scenes or become a teacher, your experience at SUNY Cortland will serve you in a variety of career options.
Performing Arts Ensemble and Students in Holiday Performances
The Choral Union, under the Direction of David Neal, will perform as part of the "Arts at Grace" series in George Frederic Handel's Messiah. The Oratorio will include performing arts students as soloists as well as a full orchestra. Performances are at the Grace and Holy Spirit Church, 13 Court Street on December 5th @ 7:30pm and December 7th @ 3:00pm. Admission is free.
Students from the Department of Performing Arts are featured alongside over 200 young community dancers in the Cortland Performing Arts Institute production of the Holiday Classic The Nutcracker. This full length production of Tchaikovsky's beloved ballet returns to DOWD FINE ARTS THEATRE for 4 performances only. December 6th @ 1:00pm & 6:00pm and December 7th @ 1:00pm & 6:00pm. Tickets are available at the Bling Store or at the Dowd box office 1 hour before curtain. call 607 2884343 for more information
- Monday Marks Super Bowl Raffle Deadline December 19, 2014
- College Again Wins Civic Engagement Distinction December 15, 2014
- Jets Camp Brings $4.6 Million to County December 09, 2014
- Pamela Schroeder Honored for Service December 05, 2014
- The Bistro Off Broadway to Open on Jan. 23 December 02, 2014
- College Plans Spring Semester Construction December 02, 2014
- ‘The Nutcracker Ballet’ Returns to Dowd Theater December 02, 2014
- Student Life Center Construction Resumes December 02, 2014
- Ribbon Fundraiser Promotes AIDS Awareness November 24, 2014
- College Boosts CROP Hunger Walk Success November 21, 2014
- Video Connects Exercise Scientists to Olympics November 20, 2014
- Theta Phi Nears 50-Year Adirondack Tradition November 19, 2014
- Raffle Offers Super-Sized Stocking Stuffer November 18, 2014
- Diplomat of Romania will Discuss Experiences November 18, 2014
- Student Club Added: Cortland Ice Girls November 18, 2014