With a major in musical theatre and minors in music and theatre, our Performing Arts Department provides a foundation in music, theatre, dance and technical theatre, resulting in thorough professional training for a career in this exciting field.
You’ll work with the finest teachers of voice, acting, dance, theatre history, music history and theory, and gain a liberal arts education at the same time.
In addition, you’ll have opportunities to perform in main-stage musicals, classic and contemporary plays,student-directed one-act plays , workshops and readings of new musicals, and choral and instrumental ensembles. A 477-seat theatre, a recital hall, a lab theatre, a dance studio and practice and rehearsal rooms will support your study.
Whether you pursue a career as a performer, work behind the scenes or become a teacher, your experience at SUNY Cortland will serve you in a variety of career options.
PERFORMING ARTS EVENTS
the GLASS MENAGERIE
The classic, poetic, tragic Tennessee Williams drama, The Glass Menagerie, comes to life in the Dowd Fine Arts Lab Theatre February 19-22.The American theatre's most poetic family told from a totally new perspective "....time is the longest distance between two places..." Performances are at 8:00 pm Thursday, Friday and Saturday , 2:00pm on Sunday Tickets are available at the Box Office one hour before performance. Seating is limited.
Friday, February 27 students from the Performing Arts Department present songs and arias at 4:00pm in Dowd 110
LEGALLY BLONDE CASTING COMPLETE
OMG you guys!!!! The cast for the Department of Performing Arts production of LEGALLY BLONDE the Musical, has been set and everyone is excited to bring this high energy, fun -filled musical to the Dowd stage. Rehearsals start on February 27 and the curtain goes up on April 10. Performances are at 8pm April 10,11, 17,18 and at 2pm on April 12 and 19. Get out your pink and join us for a night full of great music, spectacular dancing and non stop laughter.
- College Lands Big Sean for Spring Fling February 25, 2015
- Sports Info Director Earns National Honors February 24, 2015
- ‘Topographies’ Explores Landscape Through Art February 24, 2015
- College to Launch Student Opinion Survey February 24, 2015
- Professor to Discuss Giant Tortoise Conservation February 24, 2015
- SUNY Cortland to Honor Peter DiNardo ’68 February 24, 2015
- ‘R/Evolution’ Series Continues during March February 24, 2015
- Research Lab Named in Professor’s Memory February 24, 2015
- ‘A Solar Home Companion’ Coming Feb. 28 February 24, 2015
- Development Sociologist to Discuss Farming February 24, 2015
- Ignite Challenge Invites Young Graduates February 24, 2015
- Hanson Place Men’s Chorale to Sing March 7 February 24, 2015
- Voice for Justice System Reform to Speak February 24, 2015
- Professor Plays Key Role in Historic Athletics Decision February 24, 2015
- Alumni Engagement Hosts ‘Doing Business in NYC’ February 24, 2015