The Ben A. Sueltz Scholarship in Secondary Math Education
Through the generosity of the late Dr. Ben Sueltz, the Cortland College Foundation has established The Ben A. Sueltz Scholarship in Secondary Math Education. It is available to incoming freshmen with strong academic credentials and will provide $1,000 annually for up to four years. The scholarship also recognizes the outstanding career of Dr. Ben Sueltz who served the College for 38 years and was a national leader in mathematics education.
Candidates must meet the following eligibility criteria:
- At least 3.5 units of high school mathematics
- A high school average of at least 90%
- SAT math score of at least 600 (or ACT math score of at least 24)
Applicants must submit the following materials for consideration:
- Completed SUNY Cortland scholarship application
- A 500-word essay describing their interest in mathematics teaching as a career
- Two letters of recommendation
The scholarship will be renewed annually for up to four years provided that recipients maintain continuing full time status with a major in Adolescence Education – Mathematics (7-12), demonstrate satisfactory progress towards degree requirements, and attain a GPA of at least 3.0 both in the major and overall.
All application materials are due no later than March 15 and should be sent to the following address:
P.O. Box 2000
Cortland, NY 13045-0900