Health Education: Concentration in Wellness and Health Promotion [HEC_WELL] (Major)
The concentration in the Health Department is intended to prepare health education specialists to work in a variety of private, public and worksite settings related to health promotion. Responsibilities include assessing client needs, designing health promotion programs, implementing/coordinating programs and evaluation of outcomes.
- Wellness specialist in a business or corporation
- Wellness manager in a private health promotion center
- School-site or college wellness coordinator
- Wellness coordinator in a community agency
In addition to the requirements to fulfill the concentration in Wellness and Health Promotion listed below, students must fulfill all degree requirements for the Bachelor of Science in Education in Health Education [HEC].
A. Required Concentration Courses: 20 credit hours
B. Fieldwork: eight credit hours
- EXS 397 - Exercise Physiology I (3 cr. hr.)
- HLH 120 - Responding to Emergencies (2 cr. hr.)
- HLH 210 - Wellness and Health Promotion (3 cr. hr.)
- HLH 232 - Nutrition (3 cr. hr.)
- HLH 301 - Stress Management (3 cr. hr.)
- HLH 314 - Mental Health and Counseling (3 cr. hr.)
- MGT 250 - Principles of Management (3 cr. hr.)
Fieldwork required must be completed in an approved wellness setting.
Total Credit Hours Required for the concentration in Wellness and Health Promotion: 28
- HLH 499 - Fieldwork in Health (8 cr. hr.)
Total Credit Hours Required for Graduation: 124