Communication and Media Studies Department
Hone your critical thinking and creative problem-solving skills. Core courses will provide you with a strong foundation in all aspects of human communication. Design a program of study that meets your personal learning objectives and career goals when you choose elective courses within the major.
- Media production
- Public relations
What Will I Learn?
When you choose communication studies, you will:
- have a greater understanding of the role that communication plays in shaping culture and identity.
- look at the ways in which the process of meaning-making — whether through the use of words, images, symbols or technology — is used strategically to influence human judgment and actions.
- sharpen your critical thinking abilities, allowing you to become an ethical producer and consumer of messages.
- Immerse yourself in one or more internships either on campus, in the Cortland community or in neighboring cities such as Ithaca or Syracuse.
“Having an internship is one of the more important things to do while in college. It gives you the hands-on experience of what the real world will be like after graduation."
– Justin Bailey, communication studies major
Write for the newspaper, host your own radio show, produce TV programs or edit a magazine.