- SUNY Cortland became the first SUNY campus to operate all of its facilities using 100 percent renewable electric energy.
- In 2014 SUNY Cortland became the first in SUNY to have a certified LEED Platinum Dorm.
- SUNY Cortland was the first in SUNY to enter into a power purchase agreement to install a One Megawatt Solar PV array on campus.
- SUNY Cortland is designated a Tree Campus USA!
- SUNY Cortland received a Gold rating in Sustainability Tracking and Assessment Reporting System (STARS).
- A team of 16 students are hired as "Green Reps" each semester to educate the campus on sustainability.
- Over 25% of Dining Services purchases have NY ties.
- Fountain beverage servicing in the dining halls lead to 35% reduction in sales of bottled beverages.
- We recycle 100% of all eligible plastic and metal containers in our food production facilities.
- We use 30% less paper, plastic foam and plastics in Neubig alone after switching to washable china.
- Food remaining in dining halls before semester breaks is donated to local food pantries.
- The College Store recycled 28,000 textbooks in the last year.
- In the 2015 AASHE Sustainable Campus Index we were highlighted for our strong work in service learning.
- The “No-Mow Zone” is an acre of turf grass surrounding the SUNY Cortland Service Group complex.
- SUNY Cortland has developed model gardens on campus to teach students and staff about sustainable agriculture.
What YOU Can Do!
Top five items you can do today, to start help!
- Walk,bike, or take the bus.
- Invest in and use a reusable water bottle and/or hot drink mug (save 15% on your drink at ASC spots!)
- Adjust your thermostat.
- Take shorter showers.
- SAVE MONEY by buying less stuff which leads to wasting less stuff.