Built in 1972, Smith Tower is named to honor SUNY Cortland past President Donnal V. Smith, who became president in 1943. He led the college for 15 years and provided the vision for unprecedented growth in faculty, student body and facilities at SUNY Cortland.
Each tower features four-person and six-person suites. Four-person suites have two bedrooms, a bathroom and a lounge. Six-person suites have three bedrooms and a larger bathroom and lounge. Suites in these building are open to upper-class and new students.
Smith Tower Highlights
- Residents are housed on the second-10th floors.
- The ground floor provides primary accessibility to both Casey and Smith Towers.
- The main floor has a recreation lounge, study lounges, conference room, a student staff office, the RHD offices and student mailboxes.
- The recreation lounge is equipped with a pool table, ping pong table and big screen TVs.
- Vending machines are located on the first floor; you must use your college ID as a form of payment.
- The laundry facilities are located on the first floor. The cost for use is included in your dining plan.
- There is a kitchen located on the first floor equipped with a sink, stove/oven and a microwave.
- The entire building has wireless Internet access.
- An elevator allows access to all floors.
- Smith Tower is open for winter athletes over winter break.
Smith Tower Room Dimensions
Please be aware that these dimensions are approximate and may vary from room to room.
Four-person suite bedroom
15' x 11.5' floor
3.4' x 4.8' window
7.7' x 3.9' x 1.9' closet
Four-person suite common area
12.1' x 11.6' floor
11.6' x 3.4' window
Six-person suite bedroom
14.6' x 11.8' floor
4.8' x 3.4' window
3.9' x 6.7' x 1.9' closet
Six-person suite common area
Smith Tower Staff
Residence Hall Director (RHD)
Smith Tower is managed by a full-time professional residence hall director (RHD) who both lives and works in the hall.
RHD Office Phone 607-753-4161
Smith Tower Staff Office Phone: 607-753-2615
Resident Assistants (RA)
Each floor has one resident assistant, totaling nine RAs in Smith Tower.
Administrative Assistant (AA)
There is one administrative assistant. This student staff member is responsible for distributing your mail, maintaining the staff office and assisting the RHD with tasks.