Transcript Requests


The Registrar's Office is closed on Monday, May 25 in observance of Memorial Day.

Cortland Banner

Requesting Transcripts from the Registrar

Students and alumni are able to request transcripts in person at the Registrar's Office, or by mailing or faxing a request to the Registrar's Office. Students must affirmatively request that we release records to other parties by completing the transcript request form.

Transcripts are generally sent within 48 business hours. During end of term grading /degree conferral periods, transcript shipping may be delayed due to system processing.

If you experience any problems when ordering your transcript, please refer to our transcript FAQ page, which has answers to many common questions regarding transcripts, the request process, and transcript shipping.

We cannot accept transcript requests from third parties without student authorization. Please direct the student to complete our transcript request form to provide authorization. 

Per-Semester Transcript Fee

Effective Fall 2008, SUNY Cortland no longer charges a per-transcript fee. All enrolled undergraduate and graduate students are charged a $5 per semester/term transcript fee as part of the college tuition bill. Any student enrolled at SUNY Cortland prior to Fall 2008 is "grandfathered" as a former enrolled student and will receive unlimited official college transcripts as a lifetime service.

Fed Ex and expedited shipping is an additional charge, billed directly by Fed Ex. There is no charge for sending transcripts via standard U.S. mail.

Unofficial Transcripts

The Registrar's Office can only produce and send official transcripts. We do not issue unofficial transcripts to students.  We do, however, permit you to access and print your own unofficial transcripts via myRedDragon. Students have 24/7 access to unofficial transcript views and CAPP reports via their myRedDragon account. 

Students who graduated prior to 2000, will not have access to unofficial transcripts via myRedDragon.  Please request an official transcript.

Other Records and Scores

The Registrar's Office cannot provide copies of records from other institutions for official use outside of the College. For example, we cannot provide you, an employer, or another agency (except where we are required by law or legal order) with a transcript from another college that you may have submitted to us. Please request official documents directly from their source. Generally employers, academic institutions and agencies will only accept original, official documents from the source.

Electronic, Faxed and Emailed Transcripts

SUNY Cortland does not provide electronic, faxed or email transcripts at this time. We cannot provide you with transcripts in electronic or faxed form, official or unofficial. You may access unofficial electronic transcripts via myRedDragon.

Secure Paper and Watermarks

SUNY Cortland uses secure transcript paper where a watermark appears when the transcript is copied or exposed to photographic equipment.  This is is to ensure Cortland transcripts are recognized as official, and  the paper is designed to help the College curb counterfeit transcripts.  If a recipient uses OCR, imaging machines, photographic equipment, or other copying equipment which is not certified secure transcript paper, the College cannot be responsible for any quality or legibility concerns that may result.  Most institutions, Admissions Councils and accrediting agencies utilize anti-counterfeit techniques and recognize watermarked paper.  

Expedited Shipping

If you need a transcript more immediately, you may arrange for shipping via FedEx.  Students are responsible for  bringing/faxing a FedEx airbill to the Registrar's Office.  Please view our expedited shipping instruction page for additional details.  You may also pick up your transcript in person, and ship using a service of your choosing.

Official Transcript Grades and Notations

You may review our Transcript Grade Explanation Document / Key (PDF) for information about grades, transcript notations and other document features.

Other Questions?

Do not hesitate to call our office for assistance with your transcript request at 607-753-4702.