Enrollment Verifications and the NSC
Verifying Your Enrollment
The College provides verification to students only through official transcripts and enrollment verifications. Enrollment Verifications serve as proof of your status as a student at SUNY Cortland. You may be asked to provide proof of enrollment to an insurer, a loan agency, government entity, or other organization in order to receive or continue to receive benefits.
SUNY Cortland authorizes the National Student Clearinghouse (NSC) to provide degree and enrollment verification information for all students. The enrollment certificate provided by the National Student Clearinghouse is an official verification. If your lender, company, or insurer will not accept the Clearinghouse form, please contact our office.
Official enrollment verifications for a semester through the NSC "student self-service access" is generally available beginning the second week of classes in a semester.
Student Clearinghouse data is term (semester) based. Students who are completing internships or other educational experiences that extend beyond the traditional term dates are strongly urged to consult with Financial Aid, your lenders, or other agencies/entities that provide benefits, services or consideration based on enrollment verification. Coursework or experiences that will be completed after the formal and official close of the registered term, incomplete courses, late grades and delayed graduation are likely to impact loan deferral dates and grace periods. Data and enrollment reported to the Clearinghouse is based on current, official enrollment.
Changes to Reporting Due to "150% Legislation"
Starting with the 2014-2015 loan processing year, colleges are required to report additional program, college and borrower enrollment information to the NSC and the NSLDS. Among the changes to enrollment reporting will be the addition of a new three-quarter-time enrollment status, in addition to full-time, half-time, less-than-half-time, and other enrollment statuses (such as withdrawal statuses and leave statuses). (150% Loan Limit Information)
Current Clearinghouse Enrollment Status Guide
According to campus policy, students may be certified academically as full-time graduate students if they satisfy one of the following:
- They are registered for nine credit hours or more of course work.
- They have been awarded a graduate assistantship and are registered for six credit hours or more.
- They are registered for and working full-time on a thesis or independent study.
Students: Using the Clearinghouse
SUNY Cortland provides enrollment verifications through myRedDragon via the National Student Clearinghouse website. To access this information follow these steps:
- Login to myRedDragon.
- Select the Student tab.
- Under the Registrar Student Channel select: Enrollment Verification.
- Select one of two options, (a) for a current enrollment term, or (b) for all enrollment terms.
- Select Obtain an Enrollment Certificate.
- You may print as many verifications as you wish and send them to the respective agency seeking proof of enrollment.
- You may select the "view" option on the student self-service site to review other enrollment information with the National Student Clearinghouse.
SUNY Cortland provides enrollment verifications through myRedDragon using the National Student Clearinghouse. Your son/daughter may obtain the requested verification from myRedDragon. If they need assistance, please direct them to visit the Registrar's Office. Enrollment verification can only be provided to the student, or on behalf of the student at their request, in accord with to federal law (FERPA).
Prospective Health Insurer / Financial Lender / Other Agency
The National Student Clearinghouse is SUNY Cortland's authorized agent for providing degree and enrollment verifications. Please contact the National Student Clearinghouse at http://www.studentclearinghouse.org/ (or directly at http://www.degreeverify.com/) or at (703) 742-4200.
General Contact Information
The National Student Clearinghouse (NSC) is authorized by SUNY Cortland to provide degree and enrollment verification information. The National Student Clearinghouse may be contacted at:
|Mail:||National Student Clearinghouse|
|2300 Dulles Station Blvd, Suite 300|
|Herndon, VA 20171|
Landlords & Third Party Housing
The SUNY Cortland Registrar's Office cannot provide documentation to landlords and third party housing firms seeking confirmation of withdrawal, leave of absence or a decision to attend elsewhere. Students, however, may provide documentation made available to them to verify their change of status. Students may access status information on MyRedDragon or via the Clearinghouse.
In some exceptional cases, the Registrar's Office may need to provide an in-house verifications or specific letters to a company. In all other cases, students and third parties will be referred to the National Student Clearinghouse.
In order to quickly and efficiently process any requests, please review the following policies for in-house requests:
- Students may request a copy of a verification in person, by presenting their official SUNY Cortland ID in the Registrar's Office and completing the release form. A copy of the verification or letter will be issued to the student directly.
- If you need us to send information to a third party, please provide us with a request in writing by providing a release form and any other required information or forms needed by the third party.