Verify Enrollment with the National Student Clearinghouse


On This Page

Information for Students

Access information designed to help students who are verifying their enrollment or obtaining certificates for use by lenders, insurance programs or other programs/companies.

Information for Other Parties

Information for parents, third parties, lenders, businesses and government agencies attempting to verify student information or enrollment.

The National Student Clearinghouse

Verifying Enrollment via the National Student Clearinghouse 

The College provides verification to students only through official transcripts and enrollment verifications. Enrollment Verifications serve as proof of your status as a student at SUNY Cortland. You may be asked to provide proof of enrollment to an insurer, a loan agency, government entity, or other organization in order to receive or continue to receive benefits. 

SUNY Cortland authorizes the National Student Clearinghouse (NSC) to provide degree and enrollment verification information for all students. The enrollment certificate provided by the National Student Clearinghouse is an official verification. If your lender, company, or insurer will not accept the Clearinghouse form, please contact our office.

Using the Clearinghouse

SUNY Cortland provides enrollment verifications through myRedDragon via the National Student Clearinghouse website. To access this information follow these steps:

  • Login to myRedDragon.
  • Select the Student tab.
  • Under the Registrar Student Channel select: Enrollment Verification.
  • Select one of two options, (a) for a current enrollment term, or (b) for all enrollment terms.
  • Select Obtain an Enrollment Certificate.
  • Print as many verifications as you wish and send them to the respective agency seeking proof of enrollment.
  • Select the "view" option on the student self-service site to review other enrollment information with the National Student Clearinghouse.

Term Information

Official enrollment verifications for a semester through the NSC "student self-service access" is generally available beginning the second week of classes in a semester.  

Student Clearinghouse data is term (semester) based.  Students who are completing internships or other educational experiences that extend beyond the traditional term dates are strongly urged to consult with Financial Aid, your lenders, or other agencies/entities that provide benefits, services or consideration based on enrollment verification. Coursework or experiences that will be completed after the formal and official close of the registered term, incomplete courses, late grades and delayed graduation are likely to impact loan deferral dates and grace periods. Data and enrollment reported to the Clearinghouse is based on current, official enrollment. 

Changes to Reporting Due to "150% Legislation"

Starting with the 2014-2015 loan processing year, colleges are required to report additional program, college and borrower enrollment information to the NSC and the NSLDS. Among the changes to enrollment reporting will be the addition of a new three-quarter-time enrollment status, in addition to full-time, half-time, less-than-half-time, and other enrollment statuses (such as withdrawal statuses and leave statuses).  (150% Loan Limit Information)

Table of hours, student level, and status

According to campus policy, students may be certified academically as full-time graduate students if they satisfy one of the following:

  • They are registered for nine credit hours or more of course work. 
  • They have been awarded a graduate assistantship and are registered for six credit hours or more. 
  • They are registered for and working full-time on a thesis or independent study. 

Students must complete the Certification of Status form in order to be certified as full-time students. Courses that qualify as thesis or independent study culminating activities are listed on the schedule of classes. Because some thesis, independent study and internship experiences are specialized or specific to departments, this may not be an exhaustive list.

In-House Enrollment Verifications or Letters

In some exceptional cases, the Registrar's Office may need to provide an in-house verifications or specific letters to a company. In all other cases, students and third parties will be referred to the National Student Clearinghouse. 

In order to quickly and efficiently process any requests, please review the following policies for in-house requests:

  • Students may request a copy of a verification in person, by presenting their official SUNY Cortland ID in the Registrar's Office and completing the release form. A copy of the verification or letter will be issued to the student directly.

  • If you need us to send information to a third party, please provide us with a request in writing by providing a release form and any other required information or forms needed by the third party.  

Other Parties Seeking Verification

Parents of Students

SUNY Cortland provides enrollment verifications through myRedDragon using the National Student Clearinghouse. Your son/daughter may obtain the requested verification from myRedDragon. If they need assistance, please direct them to visit the Registrar's Office. Enrollment verification can only be provided to the student, or on behalf of the student at their request, in accord with to federal law (FERPA).

Prospective Health Insurer, Lender or Other Party

The National Student Clearinghouse is SUNY Cortland's authorized agent for providing degree and enrollment verifications. Please contact the National Student Clearinghouse (or directly at or at (703) 742-4200.

Landlords and Third Party Housing

The SUNY Cortland Registrar's Office cannot provide documentation to landlords and third party housing firms seeking confirmation of withdrawal, leave of absence or a decision to attend elsewhere.  Students may provide landlords with documentation made available to them to verify their change of status.  Students may access status information on MyRedDragon or via the Clearinghouse.

Non-Exempt Government Agency or Investigator Requests

Under provisions of FERPA, the College is permitted to comply with certain categories of exempted requests made by government agencies. This form is used when officials are performing non-exempt investigations such as background investigations, employment investigations and screenings where student releases may be obtained. Investigators seeking information under FERPA-exempt provisions must contact legal counsel. Contact the Legal counsel site for more information online.

The National Student Clearinghouse is SUNY Cortland’s official record for student enrollment and graduation information. An alternate form may only used when agency policy prohibits the use of the National Student Clearinghouse. Processing and mailing fees may apply.

Access Non-Exempt Government Agency or Investigator Request Form

General NSC Contact Information for Third Parties

The National Student Clearinghouse (NSC) is authorized by SUNY Cortland to provide degree and enrollment verification information. The National Student Clearinghouse may be contacted at:

Phone: (703) 742-4200
Fax: (703) 742-4239
Mail: National Student Clearinghouse
  2300 Dulles Station Blvd, Suite 300
  Herndon, VA 20171