When you major in one of our recreation programs, you follow in the footsteps of a long line of leaders in the field.
Our faculty are highly respected teachers and scholars who will give you the personal attention you need to succeed. You’ll have the opportunity to do internships and fieldwork in parks, hospitals, recreation departments and other settings in the U.S. and abroad.
Our definition of “classroom” is extremely broad — you can get academic credit for kayaking, backpacking, rock climbing and other outdoor adventures.
Cortland has the longest-running and most comprehensive recreation program in New York and is one of only three U.S. colleges with national accreditation in all four of its recreation majors.
Our alumni network of accomplished professionals, combined with your Cortland degree, will put you on the path to a rewarding career.
New Online Graduate Certificate in Therapeutic Recreation
The Therapeutic Recreation Online Graduate Certificate Program is now accepting applications for Fall 2015. Learn more about the online certificate and how to apply.
Coalition for Education in the Outdoors
Housed at SUNY Cortland, the Coalition for Education in the Outdoors is a national leaders in outdoor education. Check out CEO
Community Bike Project
Visit the Community Bike Project site to learn more about the SUNY Cortland Community Bike Project.
During an internship at Cortland Regional Medical Center, Katy helped patients with rehabilitation activities that ranged from horticulture projects to a therapeutic drum circle. “That was super cool,” she says.Read More About Katy Rendinaro
Cortland Recreation Conference
The 65th Annual Cortland Recreation Conference, will be held November 12 and 13, 2015!
- Students Give Out $10,000 to Charities May 19, 2015
- Student Awarded Prestigious Gilman Scholarship May 19, 2015
- Corporate Challenge Registration Due Wednesday May 19, 2015
- Institute for Civic Engagement Appoints New Director May 19, 2015
- Grad Students Raise Aphasia Awareness May 19, 2015
- Environmental and Outdoor Education Minor [EOE]
- Outdoor Recreation [OREC]
- Recreation [REC]
- Recreation Management [RMGT]
- Recreation: Concentration in Leisure/Recreation Program Delivery [REC/LRPD]
- Therapeutic Recreation [TR]
Rho Phi Lambda Honor Society, An Honorary Fraternity for Recreation, Parks, and Leisure Services
SCRA is Cortland's recreation major's club.Read More About Recreation, Parks and Leisure Studies Department Clubs