Study chemistry at SUNY Cortland and you get the best of several worlds — a first-rate curriculum, small classes led by a young and energetic faculty and opportunities to become involved in research as early as your freshman year.
One of the best ways to learn chemistry is by doing chemistry, in a lab, side-by-side with a faculty member, using the same sophisticated tools that professional scientists use. That’s why student research is a signature strength of our chemistry program.
Nanotechnology, polymer chemistry, chemical biology and organic synthesis, groundwater contamination and molecular synthesis are just some of the areas student researchers have explored in recent years.
A Cortland chemistry degree opens many doors to your future. Our chemistry majors are engaged in rewarding careers in research, business and industry. They are readily accepted to medical schools or to graduate programs in chemistry and other fields.
Undergraduate Summer Research Fellowship Program
The fellowships provide an opportunity for undergraduate students and their faculty mentors to engage in eight weeks of full-time scholarly activity during the summer of 2013. The fellowships are intended to support student's original research projects, not for merely being a research assistant on a faculty member's research project.
- Phi Kappa Phi Honors Six Students May 13, 2014
- Division of Student Affairs Honored May 13, 2014
- Cortland Athletics Wins SUNYAC Commissioner’s Cup May 13, 2014
- College Launches Solar Power Panels May 09, 2014
- Geology Professor Earns SUNY’s Highest Honor May 09, 2014
- Students to Award Local Grants Worth $10,000 May 06, 2014
- Summer Institute Offers Benefits for Teachers May 02, 2014
- Corporate Challenge Team Welcomes Participants April 30, 2014
- Focus is Youth Diet and Exercise Program April 30, 2014
- Campus Fosters Good Working Relationships April 29, 2014
- Physical Education Honors 13 Student Teachers April 29, 2014
- Chancellor Honors Three Employees April 29, 2014
- Honorary Degree Recipients Bring Global Reach April 29, 2014
- College Shares Plant, Fungi Info Online April 29, 2014
- Campus Plans May 6 'Hand in Hand' Walk April 28, 2014
- Adolescence Education: Chemistry (7-12) [ACM]
- Biochemistry [BCH]
- Chemistry [CHM]
- Chemistry leading to the 3 + 2 Engineering Program [CEN]
- Chemistry Minor [CHE]
- Chemistry: Concentration in Environmental Science [CHM/ENVS]
The Chemistry Department has a student affiliate chapter of the American Chemical Society (Chem Club). This club, which is partially funded by student activity fees, provides a focus for students in all areas of chemistry to study together, to obtain tutoring services and to socialize. A special Chem Club office provides working areas and a place for joining in the clubs activities. Chem Club sponsors visiting speakers and each year takes a major trip to a scientific meeting or to a site of interest to the club members.Read More About Chemistry Department Clubs