Study chemistry at SUNY Cortland and you get the best of several worlds — a first-rate curriculum, small classes led by a young and energetic faculty and opportunities to become involved in research as early as your freshman year.
One of the best ways to learn chemistry is by doing chemistry, in a lab, side-by-side with a faculty member, using the same sophisticated tools that professional scientists use. That’s why student research is a signature strength of our chemistry program.
Nanotechnology, polymer chemistry, chemical biology and organic synthesis, groundwater contamination and molecular synthesis are just some of the areas student researchers have explored in recent years.
A Cortland chemistry degree opens many doors to your future. Our chemistry majors are engaged in rewarding careers in research, business and industry. They are readily accepted to medical schools or to graduate programs in chemistry and other fields.
Undergraduate Summer Research Fellowship Program
The fellowships provide an opportunity for undergraduate students and their faculty mentors to engage in eight weeks of full-time scholarly activity during the summer of 2013. The fellowships are intended to support student's original research projects, not for merely being a research assistant on a faculty member's research project.
- Student Life Center Ribbon to Be Cut March 10, 2015
- Woods Tea Co. to Perform March 28 March 09, 2015
- Students Offer Free Tax Prep Services March 09, 2015
- Physical Education Student Teachers Honored March 06, 2015
- Women’s History Month Theme is ‘Weaving’ March 06, 2015
- College Creates Online Physical Education Degree March 04, 2015
- Nominations Sought for Civic Engagement Awards March 02, 2015
- College Lands Big Sean for Spring Fling February 25, 2015
- Sports Info Director Earns National Honors February 24, 2015
- ‘Topographies’ Explores Landscape Through Art February 24, 2015
- Research Lab Named in Professor’s Memory February 24, 2015
- Professor to Discuss Giant Tortoise Conservation February 24, 2015
- ‘R/Evolution’ Series Continues during March February 24, 2015
- SUNY Cortland to Honor Peter DiNardo ’68 February 24, 2015
- College to Launch Student Opinion Survey February 24, 2015
- Adolescence Education: Chemistry (7-12) [ACM]
- Biochemistry [BCH]
- Chemistry [CHM]
- Chemistry leading to the 3 + 2 Engineering Program [CEN]
- Chemistry Minor [CHE]
- Chemistry: Concentration in Environmental Science [CHM/ENVS]
The Chemistry Department has a student affiliate chapter of the American Chemical Society (Chem Club). This club, which is partially funded by student activity fees, provides a focus for students in all areas of chemistry to study together, to obtain tutoring services and to socialize. A special Chem Club office provides working areas and a place for joining in the clubs activities. Chem Club sponsors visiting speakers and each year takes a major trip to a scientific meeting or to a site of interest to the club members.Read More About Chemistry Department Clubs