Study chemistry at SUNY Cortland and you get the best of several worlds — a first-rate curriculum, small classes led by a young and energetic faculty and opportunities to become involved in research as early as your freshman year.
One of the best ways to learn chemistry is by doing chemistry, in a lab, side-by-side with a faculty member, using the same sophisticated tools that professional scientists use. That’s why student research is a signature strength of our chemistry program.
Nanotechnology, polymer chemistry, chemical biology and organic synthesis, groundwater contamination and molecular synthesis are just some of the areas student researchers have explored in recent years.
A Cortland chemistry degree opens many doors to your future. Our chemistry majors are engaged in rewarding careers in research, business and industry. They are readily accepted to medical schools or to graduate programs in chemistry and other fields.
Undergraduate Summer Research Fellowship Program
The fellowships provide an opportunity for undergraduate students and their faculty mentors to engage in eight weeks of full-time scholarly activity during the summer of 2013. The fellowships are intended to support student's original research projects, not for merely being a research assistant on a faculty member's research project.
- ‘Brigadoon’ Returns to Dowd Center Oct. 24 October 24, 2014
- Cortaca Ticket Information Announced October 22, 2014
- Recreation Conference Set for Nov. 6 and 7 October 21, 2014
- Motivational Speaker to Discuss College Success October 21, 2014
- New Exhibition Brings International Appeal October 21, 2014
- Biologist Joins Space-age Science Venture October 21, 2014
- Cortaca Battle is Out for Blood Donations October 21, 2014
- Barry Earns Lifetime Achievement Award October 21, 2014
- Top Southeastern Conference Official to Speak October 21, 2014
- Belize Zoo Visitors Offer Oct. 28 Talk October 21, 2014
- Diverse Outlook Among Future Educators is Topic October 21, 2014
- College Plans 29th African American Gospel Music Festival October 21, 2014
- Daniel Dryja ’04 Named Supervisor of Grounds Department October 21, 2014
- College Joins Annual March to End Hunger October 20, 2014
- From Undergrad to Owner: Young Grad Starts ABA Team October 17, 2014
- Adolescence Education: Chemistry (7-12) [ACM]
- Biochemistry [BCH]
- Chemistry [CHM]
- Chemistry leading to the 3 + 2 Engineering Program [CEN]
- Chemistry Minor [CHE]
- Chemistry: Concentration in Environmental Science [CHM/ENVS]
The Chemistry Department has a student affiliate chapter of the American Chemical Society (Chem Club). This club, which is partially funded by student activity fees, provides a focus for students in all areas of chemistry to study together, to obtain tutoring services and to socialize. A special Chem Club office provides working areas and a place for joining in the clubs activities. Chem Club sponsors visiting speakers and each year takes a major trip to a scientific meeting or to a site of interest to the club members.Read More About Chemistry Department Clubs