SUNY Cortland is proud to support the educational goals of our students and families who have served thier country. The Financial Aid Office provides information and assistance with certification paperwork for Veterans Affairs educational benefits. All students eligible for VA Education Benefits must file application forms with the VA Certifying Official according to their specific situations.
ON CAMPUS SUPPORT
VA Certifying Official: April M. Calale
For Post-9/11 Chapter 33 and Other Programs, Chapter 30 MGIB, Chapter 31 Voc-Rehab, Chapter 35 Survivor/Dependents, Chapter, 1606 Select Reserve, 1607 REAP
To find out which program you are eligible for and other benefit information, please visit http://va.gov/. Veterans education benefits are considered a resource in the financial aid package, and adjustments to other aid will be made as required by law.
To apply for benefits: http://gibill.va.gov/apply-for-benefits/application/
- For the application process, please follow the instructions for VONAPP on the VA website
- 22-1990 Application for VA Education benefits
- 22-1990E Transfer of Benefit to family member
What to send to SUNY Cortland’s VA Certifying Official:
- Copy of completed application for veterans education benefits
- Copy of member 4 DD-214 Release/Discharge from Active Duty, if applicable
- Copy of Kicker Program documentation, if applicable
- Notice of Basic Eligibility (NOBE) if you are in the Reserves
- Certificate of Eligibility — received once your eligibility is determined
Students who had been receiving veterans benefits at another college must complete a Change Program/Place of Training form to receive benefits at SUNY Cortland.
- VA form 22-1995 for Veterans, Change of Place or Program
- VA form 22-5495 for Survivors’ and Dependents’ Education Assistance
Continuing Students are asked to contact the VA certifying official immediately when they have registered for classes, not only for fall and spring semesters, but also if they are planning on taking any Winter Session or Summer Session I or II classes as well.
CERTIFICATION OF ENROLLMENT
The Certifying Official will send certification of enrollment to the VA each semester.
- It is the students responsibility to contact the Certifying Official once you are registered for a term.
- It is the students responsibility to notify the Certifying Official in writing of any changes in degree program.
- It is the students responsibility to notify the Certifying Official if withdrawing from or adding a course.
- Bring a copy of your official withdrawal showing the date(s) of withdrawal to the Financial Aid Office.
- It is the students responsibility to notify the Certifying Official if attending Winter or Summer Sessions.
- It is the students responsibility to sign in monthly to verify their enrollment with the Certifying Official.
If you are chapter 30, 35, 1606 or 1607 you must complete enrollment certification the VA each month that you qualify for benefits. This should be completed the last day of each month online at Web Automated Verification of Enrollment (W.A.V.E.) or by phone 877-823-2378. Once enrollment certification is submitted the status of your payment can be checked by calling the New York state regional office at 888-442-4551.
To register for questions/answers about VA Benefits:
Telephone: 1-888-GIBILL-1 or 1-888-442-4551