How to Apply for Financial Aid
Filing Process Checklist
Print the Financial Aid Checklist and check off each step as you complete it.
Starting in January
- File your FAFSA as soon as possible after January 1
- On-line at www.fafsa.ed.gov (SUNY Cortland’s Title IV code is 002843)
- SUNY Cortland’s FAFSA recommended filing date is March 1.
- When you apply for the FAFSA form you will be given a PIN Number that you will use to electronically sign your form. Record this PIN Number. Use the Financial Aid Checklist to record your information.
- New York State residents should file their TAP application online during the same session as the FAFSA form. If not, you will need to do so at www.tap.hesc.ny.gov/totw.
- Once you have been accepted to SUNY Cortland you will be mailed instructions explaining how to sign onto MyRedDragon. Record your sign on information from the admissions office on the bottom of Financial Aid Checklist.
Complete all outstanding requirements on your MyRedDragon account:
- Review and Accept/Decline your award letter on MyRedDragon. You will be notified via your MyRedDragon by the Financial Aid Office when your award letter is available.
- Complete any other outstanding requirements listed on MyRedDragon.