The Seal of the Apostille of the Hague
An "Apostille" is an internationally recognized document certification, developed so official documents can be reliably shared and certified across international boundaries. The Apostille's legal and procedural foundations were established by the Hague Convention of 1961. In New York, the Apostille of the Hague process is managed by the Department of State. Students will work with the Registrar's Office, the County Clerk and the Department of State to receive authentication.
Students who have attended foreign universities, or who are applying to study or work overseas, may need documents certified with the Seal of the Apostille of the Hague.
- Due to notary requirements, this process is generally completed on campus.
- The student will need to determine which SUNY Cortland academic documents they need certified by the Department of State. Generally employers and schools require a transcript from the College.
- The student is required to download and complete the New York Department of State's Authentication/Apostille Request Form that will be used to request the seal. A check must be provided covering the costs of authentication (NYS fees are identified on the form).
- The student will need to provide a request in writing to the Registrar, including a request form for any transcript copies. If you are requesting certification of a diploma, you must have a duplicate diploma copy to be sent.
- The Registrar will provide a letter certifying the documents, that will be notarized at the College.
- The student will submit the Registrar's notarized letter to be authenticated/certified by the Cortland County Clerk's Office.
- Once all documents are completed, the student will return all forms to the Registrar.
- The Registrar's Office will provide a cover letter and send the notarized and authenticated letter, along with all documents to be certified, to the NYS Department of State.
- Quetions regarding the certification after the above has been completed must be directed to the NYS Department of State.
PO Box 2000
Cortland, NY 13045
Cortland County Clerk
46 Greenbush St. Suite 105
Cortland, NY 13045
New York State Department of State
Division of Corporations, State Records, and Uniform Commercial Code
99 Washington Avenue 6th floor
Albany, NY 12231