Fraternities and sororities are recognized by the College through the Campus Activities and Corey Union Office. Recognition allows chapters to have a relationship with the College along with active membership and involvement in the Greek system and its governing boards. In order to be recognized by the College, all fraternal organizations must be associated with a National fraternal organization.
Summer 2019: Are you an incoming student? Interested in possibility of joining a fraternity/sorority? Please complete the Greek Life interest survey so we know who you are! The survey is open June 1 through August 1. Information collected will be shared with the appropriate chapter recruitment officers. Completing the survey shows interest, does not imply/guarantee an offer of membership.
June 2019: Spring grades are in -- All Greek GPA higher than All Undergraduate GPA -- again!
April 25, 2019: Alpha Phi Omega & Kappa Alpha Psi receive Civic Engagement Leadership Award from College's Institute for Civic Engagement. APO was recognized for their work with the Cortland Fire Dept. to help install smoke & carbon monoxide detectors in community homes and their involvement with SUNY's "Got Your Back" program. The Kappas were recognized for their timely "From Our Eyes" programs (collaborations with both University and City police) and their upkeep of West Court Street.
April 13, 2019: Sigma Gamma Rho chartered as the Upsilon Alpha Chapter. Congratulations to all sisters!
April 11, 2019: The following Greeks were recognized at this year's annual Student Leadership Banquet:
Outstanding Student Leaders: Katarina Carroll (Nu Sig), Brianna Constantino (ASA), Janelle Johnson (Alpha Phi), Rebekah Mills (APO), Valerie Moise (SGRho), Roger Montalvo (APD), Tatiana Nolen (SIA), Nathaniel Pine (APD), Haley Romero (Nu Sig), Allison Schepis (SDT) and Sophie Umansky (DPhiE)
Excellence in Leadership: Tatiana Nolen (SIA)
Outstanding Senior: Sophie Umansky (DPhiE)
ASA Chapter Member of the Year: Kailey Merrill
April 5, 2019: Mu Sigma Upsilon founding line of 12 young ladies has crossed. Welcome!
Late February/Early March 2019: Recruitment has ended; Total of 171 individuals will be joining one of our recognized Greek organizations.
College Eligibility Requirements:
1. Must be a full-time student enrolled at SUNY Cortland;
2. Cannot be on either Academic Probation or Academic Warning;
3. Cannot be a first semester, first year student:
4. Must have successfully completed the necessary number of credit hours (12 for continuing students and 24 post-high school credit hours for incoming transfer students). The 12 credit hours for continuing students must have been completed at SUNY Cortland.
5. Must have the necessary cumulative GPA (Minimum required by each organization for continuing students and 2.5 for incoming transfer students). Specifics for each organization are provided in the most current Greek Life Brochure. Incoming transfer students must provide a copy of their transcript(s) to the Campus Activities Office for verification (unofficial copies are accepted). Academic eligibility is reviewed by the College's Associate Director for Campus Activities and Greek Affairs.
Keep in mind: Any student(s) interested in bringing an additional Greek organization to campus needs to speak with the College's Associate Director for Campus Activities and Greek Affairs, Sandra Wohlleber.
There are some groups on campus that use Greek letters but are not actual fraternities. They have no connection to a National organization. Their charter (permission to function) has been pulled (taken away) for not following a variety of National policies. They are illegally using the letters of a real national fraternity and breaking copyright laws. The College has no oversight with these groups. They are not recognized. Students should not put themselves at risk by "joining" them. The names they are illegally using are:
Banned groups are Beta Phi Epsilon (Beta) and Delta Kappa Beta (Kappa). Joining or associating with either of these two local fraternities could result in suspension or expulsion from the College.
For more information regarding fraternity/sorority life see the most recent Greek Life brochure and Greek Life brochure insert - January 2019 or contact Sandra Wohlleber, Associate Director, Campus Activities and Greek Affairs. 607-753-5574 or Sandra.Wohlleber@cortland.edu