SUNY Cortland’s Student Life Center will open to current students and current faculty and staff starting at 6 a.m. on Wednesday, Sept. 2.
However, the facility has imposed several new policies to follow COVID-19 safety procedures recommended by the New York State Department of Health and the Center for Disease Control.
Among the changes:
- Face coverings will be required at all times except when showering, swimming, drinking water or eating. Face shields, bandanas, buffs and gaiters are not considered acceptable face coverings.
- All patrons must complete their daily COVID-19 screening through myRedDragon and must show confirmation at the Student Life Center front desk to enter.
- Cleaning procedures have been enhanced. Patrons are being asked to assist staff by disinfecting equipment before and after use.
- Some equipment has been moved or marked “temporarily out of service” to ensure at least six feet of physical distance between patrons.
- Due to capacity constraints, all patrons will be required to register for a workout timeslot using the Recreational Sports Purchase Portal.
Users looking to reserve a workout time should login to the portal using their myRedDragon credentials, select “Student Life Center Facility Access” and chose a time slot.
Reservations, which are limited to 45-minute windows throughout the day, may be made up to 24 hours in advance and will close when capacity is reached. All equipment will be available on a first-come, first-served basis and cardio equipment will be limited to 35-minute time slots. Members may register for one time slot per day and those who violate this policy may have their access to the Student Life Center revoked. Patrons with repeated no-shows or cancellations will face penalties and termination of membership.
Those with questions about the workout reservation process may contact Eve Mascoli, assistant director of Recreational Sports for Facilities and Aquatics.
The Student Life Center has also made several program and activity area modifications to meet safety guidelines, including:
- Membership will be limited to current students and current faculty and staff only. No guests or tours will be allowed in the facility until further notice.
- Massage therapy appointments may be made but screening questions and temperature checks will be taken before all sessions. Visit the Massage Therapy Program for more details.
- Due to the high-risk nature of the sports, basketball and volleyball will not be permitted.
- Information on the group exercise, mind/body and personal training programs will be provided at a later date.
- Outdoor Pursuits will not conduct trips during the Fall 2020 semester. However, small group workshops, equipment rental, bike rental and the climbing wall will be available. Visit Outdoor Pursuits for more information.
- Intramural Sports will offer a limited number of individual participant-based sports as well as various opportunities to participate in eSports tournaments and leagues. Registration is available through Intramural Sports.
For more information, contact the Student Life Center front desk at 607-753-5811 or the Recreational Sports Office at 607-753-5585.