Not ready to declare a major? You’re not alone. Twenty percent of new students enroll at SUNY Cortland as pre-majors. You’ll find advisors and professional staff who will guide you on the journey toward finding the major that ignites your passion.
Strategies for the Pre-Major Student
- Take additional time to explore major options
- Continue to make progress toward your degree while completing General Education requirements
- Participate in pre-major Learning Communities that connect you with faculty and allow collaboration with other students
- Work with Career Services to gain a better sense of your interests, abilities and values
- Advisement and Transition provides academic and career guidance
- Career Services offers career counseling, workshops, mock interviews and internships
- ADV 200: Major and Career Exploration course
- Communities consist of two-five linked courses.
- Explore the link between your interests, experiences and academic opportunities when you take classes that address common themes with the same group of students.
- Topics range from science, to communication, to recreation, to service learning.
- Experience greater satisfaction and success in your first year of college.
- Learn more about Learning Communities