If careers in law, business, government, politics, law enforcement, journalism and teaching pique your interest, then a political science major would be the perfect choice for you.
The Political Science Department offers a wide range of programs for understanding the political world, preparing you for your chosen vocation and seeking graduate education in politics, law, policy or public administration.
You will also gain practical experience in domestic and international politics, government and the law through our service-learning programs and participate in such overseas internships as the British Parliament, the Irish Parliament or government agency work in Belize.
If your goal is to become a lawyer, we will provide you with advisement and assistance in preparing for the law boards (LSATs), a pre-law library, law school trips and speakers, our popular law and justice concentration and our new law and justice minor.
We also offer courses on constitutional law and have developed a successful moot court program. Our graduates have gone on to study law at some of the best schools in the nation such as Cornell and George Washington University. We take pride in their success.
SUNY Cortland's political science graduates have a strong track record of success in a variety of areas. Many of our graduates go on to some form of post-graduate education, mostly law school and master’s programs, for example, recent graduates have attended law schools at George Washington, Syracuse, the University of Alabama and Albany Law School. We also currently have students attending masters programs at Rockefeller College of Public Affairs and Policy and Cornell's Institute for Public Affairs.
We know that in order to continue this strong tradition, we need our Alumni to provide guidance and support for our recent graduates. Do you know any successful Cortland Political Science Alumni? If so, please e-mail Dr. Spitzer at email@example.com.
- African Authority on Race and Gender to Speak November 12, 2013
- Films Take Nuanced Look at East Germany November 08, 2013
- Series to Explore Cultures in Conflict September 16, 2013
- Top State Constitution Experts to Meet at SUNY Cortland September 10, 2013
- Class Awards Grants to Four Nonprofits May 14, 2013
- Dual Major in Adolescence Education: Social Studies and Political Science (7-12) [SST and POL]
- Law and Justice Minor [LAJU]
- Political Science [POL]
- Political Science Minor [POL]
- Political Science: Concentration in Law and Justice [POL/LAJU]
- Political Science: Concentration in Public Administration and Public Policy [POL/PADM]
- Political Science: Minor with an Emphasis in Comparative Politics and International Relations [POL/CPIR]
- Political Science: Minor with an Emphasis in Public Administration and Public Policy [POL/PADM]
Students interested in participating in politics-related activities outside the classroom can join the Political Science Association. With leadership from Dr. Christopher Latimer, the Political Science Association secured funding from the Student Government to sponsor a number of extra-curricular events involving students and faculty.Read More About Political Science Department Clubs