If careers in law, business, government, politics, law enforcement, journalism and teaching pique your interest, then a political science major would be the perfect choice for you.
The Political Science Department offers a wide range of programs for understanding the political world, preparing you for your chosen vocation and seeking graduate education in politics, law, policy or public administration.
You will also gain practical experience in domestic and international politics, government and the law through our service-learning programs and participate in such overseas internships as the British Parliament, the Irish Parliament or government agency work in Belize.
If your goal is to become a lawyer, we will provide you with advisement and assistance in preparing for the law boards (LSATs), a pre-law library, law school trips and speakers, our popular law and justice concentration and our new law and justice minor.
We also offer courses on constitutional law and have developed a successful moot court program. Our graduates have gone on to study law at some of the best schools in the nation such as Cornell and George Washington University. We take pride in their success.
SUNY Cortland's political science graduates have a strong track record of success in a variety of areas. Many of our graduates go on to some form of post-graduate education, mostly law school and master’s programs, for example, recent graduates have attended law schools at George Washington, Syracuse, the University of Alabama and Albany Law School. We also currently have students attending masters programs at Rockefeller College of Public Affairs and Policy and Cornell's Institute for Public Affairs.
We know that in order to continue this strong tradition, we need our Alumni to provide guidance and support for our recent graduates. Do you know any successful Cortland Political Science Alumni? If so, please e-mail Dr. Spitzer at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Parks Alumni House Celebrates First Decade September 23, 2014
- Robert C. Howe Honored for Community Service September 19, 2014
- SUNY Cortland Wins Energy Innovation Awards September 19, 2014
- College to Recognize Constitution Day September 15, 2014
- Dowd Reopening Celebrated with Toy Piano Performance September 10, 2014
- Series Explores Culture, Technology, Sustainability September 09, 2014
- Cortland Again Ranked One of America’s Top Colleges September 09, 2014
- Gender Bender Science Talk Planned Sept. 18 September 09, 2014
- Second Language Educators Confer Sept. 27 September 09, 2014
- Media Executive Visiting SUNY Cortland for Residency September 09, 2014
- C-Club Induction Highlights Busy Sports Weekend September 09, 2014
- Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand to Host Forum at College September 02, 2014
- Bias on Campus Roundtable Planned September 01, 2014
- New Show Inaugurates Renovated Dowd Gallery September 01, 2014
- College to Go Red for Colors Day August 27, 2014
- Dual Major in Adolescence Education: Social Studies and Political Science (7-12) [SST and POL]
- Law and Justice Minor [LAJU]
- Political Science [POL]
- Political Science Minor [POL]
- Political Science: Concentration in Law and Justice [POL/LAJU]
- Political Science: Concentration in Public Administration and Public Policy [POL/PADM]
- Political Science: Minor with an Emphasis in Comparative Politics and International Relations [POL/CPIR]
- Political Science: Minor with an Emphasis in Public Administration and Public Policy [POL/PADM]
Students interested in participating in politics-related activities outside the classroom can join the Political Science Association. With leadership from Dr. Christopher Latimer, the Political Science Association secured funding from the Student Government to sponsor a number of extra-curricular events involving students and faculty.Read More About Political Science Department Clubs