The Literacy Education Program at SUNY Cortland prepares candidates to become specialists in the teaching of literacy. We foster the development of literacy specialists who are critical thinkers, reflective practitioners and possess the knowledge and skills necessary to ensure the literacy development of all learners.
The Master of Science in Education in Literacy is a revision of the Master of Science in Education - Reading program designed to meet changing requirements recently established by the New York State Board of Regents. The 33-36 credit-hour program provides candidates with the knowledge and experiences required to obtain NYS certification in the teaching of literacy (birth to grade 6) or the teaching of literacy (grades 5-12). Also, those wishing to obtain both certificates may do so by taking additional course work and field experiences.
Graduates of our program will be prepared to provide specialized literacy instruction and assessment across a variety of levels and settings.
• Literacy Resource Teacher
• Literacy Teacher/Coach
• Classroom Teacher
• Facilitator of Intervention Services
• Curriculum Specialist for school or district level
- Students to Award Local Grants Worth $10,000 May 04, 2015
- Spring Teams Streak to SUNYAC Summit May 04, 2015
- Students Host Free Children’s Event Sunday May 01, 2015
- EPA Names Cortland SUNY Conference’s Green Power Champion May 01, 2015
- Lights, Cameras, 2015 Senior Send-off! April 28, 2015
- Final Blood Drive Set for April 29 April 28, 2015
- New York Actor to Discuss Gay Culture April 23, 2015
- Rapper Big Sean Headlines Spring Fling April 23, 2015
- Students to Pledge Against Sex Assault April 21, 2015
- Town-gown Project to Cut Ribbon on ‘Cemetrail’ April 21, 2015
- Phi Kappa Phi Names 2015 Academic Standouts April 21, 2015
- Local Arts Council to House Spring Edition of Speak April 21, 2015
- Outdoor Art Display Questions Capitalism April 21, 2015
- Students Step Up as ‘Big Event’ Nears April 21, 2015
- Cortland Football to Host Bone Marrow Testing Drive May 2 April 21, 2015