The Literacy Education Program at SUNY Cortland prepares candidates to become specialists in the teaching of literacy. We foster the development of literacy specialists who are critical thinkers, reflective practitioners and possess the knowledge and skills necessary to ensure the literacy development of all learners.
The Master of Science in Education in Literacy is a revision of the Master of Science in Education - Reading program designed to meet changing requirements recently established by the New York State Board of Regents. The 33-36 credit-hour program provides candidates with the knowledge and experiences required to obtain NYS certification in the teaching of literacy (birth to grade 6) or the teaching of literacy (grades 5-12). Also, those wishing to obtain both certificates may do so by taking additional course work and field experiences.
Graduates of our program will be prepared to provide specialized literacy instruction and assessment across a variety of levels and settings.
• Literacy Resource Teacher
• Literacy Teacher/Coach
• Classroom Teacher
• Facilitator of Intervention Services
• Curriculum Specialist for school or district level
- Cortaca ticket and event information announced October 22, 2014
- Recreation Conference Set for Nov. 6 and 7 October 21, 2014
- Motivational Speaker to Discuss College Success October 21, 2014
- Biologist Joins Space-age Science Venture October 21, 2014
- Cortaca Battle is Out for Blood Donations October 21, 2014
- Barry Earns Lifetime Achievement Award October 21, 2014
- Belize Zoo Visitors Offer Oct. 28 Talk October 21, 2014
- Diverse Outlook Among Future Educators is Topic October 21, 2014
- College Plans 29th African American Gospel Music Festival October 21, 2014
- Daniel Dryja ’04 Named Supervisor of Grounds Department October 21, 2014
- College Joins Annual March to End Hunger October 20, 2014
- From Undergrad to Owner: Young Grad Starts ABA Team October 17, 2014
- Top Southeastern Conference Official to Speak October 17, 2014
- Professor Boosts Barduhn/EMS Award October 17, 2014
- Halloween Coming to Parks Alumni House October 16, 2014