The Literacy Education Program at SUNY Cortland prepares candidates to become specialists in the teaching of literacy. We foster the development of literacy specialists who are critical thinkers, reflective practitioners and possess the knowledge and skills necessary to ensure the literacy development of all learners.
The Master of Science in Education in Literacy is a revision of the Master of Science in Education - Reading program designed to meet changing requirements recently established by the New York State Board of Regents. The 33-36 credit-hour program provides candidates with the knowledge and experiences required to obtain NYS certification in the teaching of literacy (birth to grade 6) or the teaching of literacy (grades 5-12). Also, those wishing to obtain both certificates may do so by taking additional course work and field experiences.
Graduates of our program will be prepared to provide specialized literacy instruction and assessment across a variety of levels and settings.
• Literacy Resource Teacher
• Literacy Teacher/Coach
• Classroom Teacher
• Facilitator of Intervention Services
• Curriculum Specialist for school or district level
- Spring Fling Act to Be Announced Tuesday February 23, 2015
- Residence Life Conference to Train Superheroes February 19, 2015
- College to Stage ‘The Glass Menagerie’ February 19, 2015
- Nominations Sought Civic Engagement Awards February 19, 2015
- Body Appreciation Week Events Planned February 19, 2015
- College Adds Online Certificate in Recreation February 13, 2015
- Spring 2015 Performing Arts Schedule Set February 10, 2015
- Student Life Center Grand Opening Planned February 10, 2015
- Interdisciplinary Series to Highlight ‘R/Evolution’ February 10, 2015
- Genetic Modified Crops is Feb. 11 Topic February 10, 2015
- Study Abroad Scholarships Presented February 10, 2015
- Students Get Ready to Relay for Life February 10, 2015
- Peter Perkins Named VP for Institutional Advancement February 10, 2015
- Gov. Cuomo’s Budget Explained February 10, 2015
- Residence Life Conference to Train Superheroes February 10, 2015