The Literacy Education Program at SUNY Cortland prepares candidates to become specialists in the teaching of literacy. We foster the development of literacy specialists who are critical thinkers, reflective practitioners and possess the knowledge and skills necessary to ensure the literacy development of all learners.
The Master of Science in Education in Literacy is a revision of the Master of Science in Education - Reading program designed to meet changing requirements recently established by the New York State Board of Regents. The 33-36 credit-hour program provides candidates with the knowledge and experiences required to obtain NYS certification in the teaching of literacy (birth to grade 6) or the teaching of literacy (grades 5-12). Also, those wishing to obtain both certificates may do so by taking additional course work and field experiences.
Graduates of our program will be prepared to provide specialized literacy instruction and assessment across a variety of levels and settings.
• Literacy Resource Teacher
• Literacy Teacher/Coach
• Classroom Teacher
• Facilitator of Intervention Services
• Curriculum Specialist for school or district level
- Speech, Hearing Center Expands Outreach August 26, 2014
- College Offers ‘Wellness’ Series for Campus, Community August 26, 2014
- President’s Opening Talk Underlines Success August 26, 2014
- SUNYAC Honors Student-Athletes for Academics August 26, 2014
- Interim Assistant Directors of Athletics Named August 26, 2014
- Study Abroad Fair Set for Oct. 1 in Corey Union August 19, 2014
- Tai Chi Master Plans Demonstration, Workshop August 19, 2014
- Brother Stays True to Kappa Until the End August 15, 2014
- Feel the Pulse of Red Dragon Pride at the State Fair August 15, 2014
- Share Your Good News, Class Notes Submissions Online August 15, 2014
- Moot Court Resumes Training Legal Eagles August 13, 2014
- When Multiple Twins Came to Campus August 13, 2014
- Camp Offers Chance of a Lifetime for Kids August 07, 2014
- Jets’ Green and White Practice Means Fireworks July 30, 2014
- Conference to Target Mathematics Education July 22, 2014