The Literacy Education Program at SUNY Cortland prepares candidates to become specialists in the teaching of literacy. We foster the development of literacy specialists who are critical thinkers, reflective practitioners and possess the knowledge and skills necessary to ensure the literacy development of all learners.
The Master of Science in Education in Literacy is a revision of the Master of Science in Education - Reading program designed to meet changing requirements recently established by the New York State Board of Regents. The 33-36 credit-hour program provides candidates with the knowledge and experiences required to obtain NYS certification in the teaching of literacy (birth to grade 6) or the teaching of literacy (grades 5-12). Also, those wishing to obtain both certificates may do so by taking additional course work and field experiences.
Graduates of our program will be prepared to provide specialized literacy instruction and assessment across a variety of levels and settings.
• Literacy Resource Teacher
• Literacy Teacher/Coach
• Classroom Teacher
• Facilitator of Intervention Services
• Curriculum Specialist for school or district level
- Local Bagel Business Booms for Young Grad November 18, 2014
- Handel’s ‘Messiah’ Concerts Set for Dec. 5 and 7 November 18, 2014
- ‘The Third Man’ Continues 'Rubble' Film Series November 17, 2014
- Chancellor Launches Education Innovation Center at Cortland November 14, 2014
- Advocate for Colombians Speaks Nov. 19 November 14, 2014
- College Singers to Offer 'Night Life' Music November 14, 2014
- College Boasts Pair of Cortaca Victories November 13, 2014
- School Districts Covet Alum’s Training November 12, 2014
- Student, Coach to Speak on Veterans Day November 11, 2014
- President Urges Cortaca Cooperation November 11, 2014
- Philanthropy Week to Honor 'Giving Back' November 10, 2014
- ‘Take Back Cortaca’ to Air on WSUC November 07, 2014
- Take Back Cortaca Events Announced November 06, 2014
- College-Community Orchestra to Perform November 05, 2014
- Eastern European Style Music Offered Nov. 22 November 04, 2014