The Literacy Education Program at SUNY Cortland prepares candidates to become specialists in the teaching of literacy. We foster the development of literacy specialists who are critical thinkers, reflective practitioners and possess the knowledge and skills necessary to ensure the literacy development of all learners.
The Master of Science in Education in Literacy is a revision of the Master of Science in Education - Reading program designed to meet changing requirements recently established by the New York State Board of Regents. The 33-36 credit-hour program provides candidates with the knowledge and experiences required to obtain NYS certification in the teaching of literacy (birth to grade 6) or the teaching of literacy (grades 5-12). Also, those wishing to obtain both certificates may do so by taking additional course work and field experiences.
Graduates of our program will be prepared to provide specialized literacy instruction and assessment across a variety of levels and settings.
• Literacy Resource Teacher
• Literacy Teacher/Coach
• Classroom Teacher
• Facilitator of Intervention Services
• Curriculum Specialist for school or district level
- Campus Plans HeartChase Event April 18 April 07, 2015
- Students Plan ‘Celebrate Sound’ 5K Run/walk April 07, 2015
- Musical ‘Legally Blonde’ Opens April 10 April 07, 2015
- Awareness Campaign Attacks Sexual Assault April 07, 2015
- Red Dragons Capture Pair of National Crowns April 07, 2015
- Course Promotes Innovative Approaches for Community Needs April 07, 2015
- Transformations Set for April 17 April 07, 2015
- Poet to Discuss Disability and Aesthetics April 07, 2015
- Annual Admissions Open House Set for April 11 April 07, 2015
- Div. III Week Celebrates All Abilities April 06, 2015
- Talk to Focus on Teacher Activism April 06, 2015
- College Continues ‘Global Crises Week’ Series April 03, 2015
- City Trip to Send Student Writers Back Hundreds of Years April 03, 2015
- SUNY Cortland Plans Green Days Events April 01, 2015
- Jets to Remain in New Jersey for 2015 Training Camp March 31, 2015