SUNY Cortland’s History Department offers two majors, a minor, and a graduate program. Browse our department webpage to explore options. We have a world-class faculty offering classes ranging from Revolutionary America to Ancient Greece; from Medieval Europe to Modern China; from the Spanish Civil War to Native American History; from World Environmental History to Public History; and dozens more. In our history courses, students don't just study the past---they become historians.
Check out these additional resources on why majoring in history brings a lifetime of opportunity, career choice, and excitement:
Follow SUNY Cortland's History Department on Facebook.
- Join Dr. Bekeh Ukelina for a study abroad trip this summer in Ghana! Details here.
- Dr. Laura Gathagan recently traveled to France to present her scholarship...read all about it here and listen to her talk here.
- Welcome to our newest colleague, Dr. Celeste McNamara, an expert in early modern European history!
- We are saddened by the death of Dr. William F. Sharp, professor emeritus of history. Dr. Sharp served at SUNY Cortland from 1994 through 2010 as professor of history, specializing in Latin American history. He also served as Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs from 1994 to 2001. He will be missed.
- Why study history at Cortland? To become a great teacher without breaking the bank! SUNY Cortland has been ranked 23rd nationally in best value for teaching degrees.
- Dr. Laura Gathagan published a new co-edited volume, A Companion to the Abbey of Le Bec in the Central Middle Ages (11th-13th Centuries). She also edited the latest volume of the Haskins Society Journal.
- Dr. Judith Van Buskirk appeared on the "Ben Franklin's World" podcast to discuss her newest book --- Listen here.
The History Club is one of SUNY Cortland’s fastest growing organizations on campus! Its goals are to provide a social setting for developing interests in historical topics and to establish a better relationship between faculty and students.
Read More About History Department Clubs