You’ll find a strong emphasis on the biology of organisms and ecosystems along with the application of modern scientific approaches to environmental problems and their connections to human activities when you study conservation biology at SUNY Cortland. It also was one of the first programs of the kind offered at the undergraduate level.
- Biologist with state and federal agencies
- Conservation biologist with non-profit organization
- Environmental analyst
- Naturalist at national and state parks
- Wildlife ecologist
Internships and Research
You’ll enjoy many internship opportunities across the country and overseas. Recent internships included:
- Prairie restoration ecology in Illinois
- Sea turtle research in Florida and Costa Rica
- Conservation education at the Belize Zoo
- Invasive plant management at Lime Hollow Center for the Environment and Culture
- Endangered species steward in NY State Parks
- Naturalist at NY State Park
- Water quality research in Onondaga County
- NYS Department of Environmental Conservation
- S. Fish and Wildlife Service
- Field facilities as part of the W.H. Parks Family Center for Environmental and Outdoor Education include:
- Hoxie Gorge Nature Preserve located seven miles from the College
- Antlers and Camp Huntington in the Adirondacks
- Brauer Field Station near Albany
- Faculty dedicated to providing quality education and research opportunities include:
- Tim Baroni, biodiversity of fleshy fungi
- Steven Broyles, plant pollination ecology
- Patricia Conklin, molecular genetics
- Peter Ducey, herpetology and soil animal ecology
- Terrence Fitzgerald, entomology
- Angela Pagano, aquatic ecology
- MaryBeth Voltura, small mammal ecology
- If you participate in a research project, you may find yourself presenting your scientific findings at local and regional professional meetings.
- Study and work in our state-of-the-art classroom and research facility.
College is more than a classroom. Enhance your experience with extracurricular opportunities.
Beta Beta Beta, National Biological Honor Society