As one of the largest departments on campus, English provides students many options for literary and cultural study while preserving small class sizes.
Our award-winning faculty offer a variety of courses in literature, professional writing, and adolescence education, covering topics such as Shakespeare, world literature, rhetoric, new media, and 21st century literacies.
Students actively participate in the process of reading and writing and study how words work: how they can be shaped into literary art, organized into a lesson plan, or developed into distinct genres, from poetry to a resume; how we use them to fashion our understanding of ourselves and our place in local, national, and global communities.
Upon graduation, a SUNY Cortland English major is not only in demand by creative and professional institutions, but also well prepared for graduate school, law school, and careers in teaching, journalism, new media, communications and business.
- Phi Kappa Phi Honors Six Students May 13, 2014
- Division of Student Affairs Honored May 13, 2014
- Cortland Athletics Wins SUNYAC Commissioner’s Cup May 13, 2014
- College Launches Solar Power Panels May 09, 2014
- Geology Professor Earns SUNY’s Highest Honor May 09, 2014
- Students to Award Local Grants Worth $10,000 May 06, 2014
- Summer Institute Offers Benefits for Teachers May 02, 2014
- Corporate Challenge Team Welcomes Participants April 30, 2014
- Focus is Youth Diet and Exercise Program April 30, 2014
- Campus Fosters Good Working Relationships April 29, 2014
- Physical Education Honors 13 Student Teachers April 29, 2014
- Chancellor Honors Three Employees April 29, 2014
- Honorary Degree Recipients Bring Global Reach April 29, 2014
- College Shares Plant, Fungi Info Online April 29, 2014
- Campus Plans May 6 'Hand in Hand' Walk April 28, 2014
- Adolescence Education: English (7-12) [AEN]
- English [ENG]
- English: Minor with an Emphasis in Language and Literature [ENLL]
- English: Minor with an Emphasis in Literature [ENL]
- English: Minor with an Emphasis in Literature and Writing [ENLW]
- Professional Writing [PWRT]
- Professional Writing Minor [PWRT]
English Club: Check out the club on Facebook: English Club@SUNY Cortland!
Where students at Cortland who love teaching English come together!
engaging in educational activities.Read More About English Department Clubs