If you want to pursue a career in childhood education (grades 1-6) or early childhood education (birth-grade 2), you’ll find that SUNY Cortland has a stellar reputation for excellence in preparing teachers.
At Cortland you’ll learn from expert faculty who have years of experience in school settings. They will help you translate what you learn in class to the real-world setting of a preschool or elementary school classroom.
And because experience is usually the best teacher, you’ll spend 100 hours or more in the field before you begin your student teaching, giving you opportunities to explore a variety of different educational environments.
A Cortland degree makes employers take notice. We prepare more elementary and preschool teachers than any other college or university in New York. Schools are confident that when they hire a Cortland-educated graduate, they’re hiring someone destined to become a great teacher.
As a student in the Childhood/Early Childhood Department you will be part of the:
- Largest comprehensive teacher education program in New York
- Tenth largest education program among public institutions in the United States
- 142 years of tradition in that Cortland continues to educate more teachers than any other New York college or university
Your completed degree will integrate:
- A strong foundation of liberal arts and sciences with theory
- The application of teaching with real classroom experiences
- Highly marketable NCATE accrediated certification
Video - Annual Professional Performance Review
View Rest of Series
There are no events available. Please check for further updates.
An early childhood and childhood education major, Lauren chose the environmental studies concentration because of her love of science and for its hands-on features. In addition to her education courses, she’s taken oceanography, geography and earth science courses.Read More About Lauren Reed
- College Named Master Teaching Hub May 21, 2013
- Thailand Program Earns Chancellor’s Award May 14, 2013
- Teacher of the Year to Address Educators April 24, 2013
- Students Lay Bridges for Kids Groundwork February 22, 2013
- Children’s Museum Launches Saturday Series on Feb. 9 February 04, 2013