--adapted from T. Lickona's Educating for Character: How Our Schools Can Teach Respect and Responsibility (Bantam, 1991).
Click on links below for key ideas and strategies for each component.
- The teacher as caregiver, model and mentor
- An ethical learning community
- Character-based discipline
- A democratic classroom environment
- Teaching character through curriculum
- Cooperative learning
- Conscience of craft
- Ethical reflection
- Teaching conflict resolution
- Creating a culture of excellence & ethics
- Caring beyond the classroom
- Schools, parents and communities as partners
The Twelve Component Assessment and Planning (Davidson, Lickona, and Khmelkov) is a planning and assessment tool constructed for use with the 12-Point Comprehensive Approach to Character Education. The TCAP provides outcome indicators for each component of the comprehensive approach. It may be used in its entirety, or one component at a time.