Pathway to M.S.

Can I pursue a Master of Science through SUNY Cortland once I complete the certificate program?

Yes. Apply for a Change of Status from the Therapeutic Recreation Online Graduate Certificate Program to the M.S. in Recreation with a concentration in Therapeutic Recreation, offered either online or on campus.

Learn more about the M.S. in Recreation/Therapeutic Recreation in the College Catalog. The M.S. is offered both online and on campus. 

The Therapeutic Recreation Online Graduate Certificate Program consists of 21 credit hours, all of which fulfill requirements for the M.S. The M.S. requires 34 credit hours. Thus, you will have 10 credit hours of courses remaining for the M.S., as well as the semester-long three-credit-hour capstone internship at a pre-arranged agency.

In order to change your status, you must have met all the graduate academic standards for GPA in the certificate program. 

To apply to change your status from the certificate program to the M.S., use the Request to Change Graduate Status form (PDF)

Email Anderson Young, graduate coordinator, for further information about the M.S. on campus. Email Jackie Dyke, online graduate coordinator, about the M.S. online.

TR session