excellence & ethics features K-12 best practices and themed issues for educators and parents. If you wish to receive excellence & ethics by e-mail once or twice a year, subscribe here.
The Center's previous newsletter, The Fourth & Fifth Rs (1995-2008), features character education classroom or schoolwide success stories and special-focus issues. Go to The Fourth & Fifth Rs archives.
Newsletters are in PDF files. You will need Adobe Acrobat Reader to open them.
You may already have it, but if not, you can get it free from Adobe.
Click on any issue below to view, print, or forward to others.
Winter/Spring 2013 special issue on families and parenting.
- Take Back Your Kids: How to Teach and Get Respect
by William Doherty
- The Power of a Positive Attitude and a Garbage-Free Mind
by Hal Urban
- Family Meetings: Solving Conflicts, Teaching Fairness
by Tom Lickona
- Conversation Starters: Promoting Family Communication
by Tom Lickona
Winter/Spring 2012 special issue on bullying
Each article can also be viewed or printed separately:
- Prevent Bullying, Promote Kindness: 20 Things All Schools Can Do
- Olweus Bullying Prevention Program: Update from U.S. Director
- Fostering Kindness with 7th-Graders
- How Can Parents Prevent Bullying and Monitor Kids' Tech Activity?
- Respect and Responsibility School Culture Survey
Winter 2011 special issue on academic integrity
In this issue, each article can also be viewed or printed separately.
- Power2Programs:Feedback from the Field
- Using the CREE for School Improvement
- Building Character on the Gridiron
- Performance Character/Moral Character Ball
- Best Work, Best Self: The Pursuit of Excellence & Ethics at The Shipley School
- Johnny Appleseed: A Tale of Character
- Packing Our Backpacks for the 5th-Grade Journey
- Power2Learn & Power2Teach: National Field-Testing Underway
- Born Again Teacher: Transforming Math Class Through the Power of Character
- The Power of a Touchstone
- Stand for the Best
- Integrating Moral and Performance Character
- Raising Boys: 7 Tips
- The Four KEYS: Maximizing the Power of Any Character Education Practice
- What Science Says About the 4 KEYS
- How Can We Get Students to Care About Quality? Revise, Revise, Revise
- Improving Our Own Character: A Humbling Journey
- Did a Lack of Virtue Contribute to the Economic Collapse?
- Power to Learn
- Maximizing the Power of Character through the Integration of Excellence and Ethics
- What Science Says About Performance Character and Moral Character
- Why Not Your Best? Creating a Culture of Excellence in the Classroom
- Using the CREE to Measure Excellence and Ethics
- An Invitation to Join the Smart & Good Schools Initiative
The Fourth & Fifth Rs Archives
The Fourth & Fifth Rs newsletter, published from 1995-2008, features classroom and schoolwide character education success stories and special-focus topics such as parenting, bullying, the emotional dangers of premature sexual involvement, and preventing school violence.
Click on issues below to view full content.
- The Virtues Project: Bringing Out Every Child's Inner Goodness
- What Works in Character Education?
- 10 Emotional Dangers of Premature Sexual Involvement
- Yes Pa: The Power of a Positive Attitude
- Putting Virtue Into Action: The Darfur Crisis
- Raising Children of Character: 10 Principles
- From Chaos to Character: Walnut Middle School's Story
- Fostering an Ethic of Excellence
- The Power of a Touchstone
- Weaving Character Education Into Language Arts
- St. Leonard Elementary: A National School of Character
- Creating School "Families"
- 8 Strengths of Character for Success in School, Work, and Beyond
- A Class of Character: "This is Who We Are"
- "Walking the Talk" at Harris Hill Elementary
- Curbing Bad Language
- Teaching With Character Quotations
- Identity and Adolescents: How Adults Can Help
- Teaching Character Through Real Heroes
- Helping Kids--and Adults--Take Responsibility for Their Own Character
- Developing Performance Character and Moral Character in Youth
- The Content of Our Character: Ten Essential Virtues
- Teaching Character Through the Classics
- Coach's Checklist
- Growing Character in the Elementary Classroom
- Integrating Academics and Character: The "Laws of Life" Essay Contest
- Peers Teaching Abstinence
- New Hampton School: A National School of Character
- Character Education Strategies in America's Blue Ribbon Schools
- High School Character Education: Researching Promising Practices
- Reducing Relational Aggression
- "Civics in Action": Lessons in Character and Citizenship
- Character Quotes
- The Structural Approach to Character Education
- The Power of a Pledge
- The One-Minute Philosopher
- Love and Life at the Movies: Educating for Character Through the Film Classics
- Building Character at Hilltop Elementary
- Making Sense of Tolerance and Diversity
- Children's Literature and Character Development
- May Peace Prevail on Earth
- Character First in Hamburg
- Integrating Character and Academics
- Preventing School Violence: What Can We Do?
- Focusing on Student Outcomes
- Building a Classroom Community
- Maxim-izing Your Life
- The Heart of Character Education
- Character Education: Teaching Values, Valuing Teachers
- Morgan Road Elementary School: A National School of Character
- Respect and Responsibility at West Genesee High
- Elementary, Middle and High School Character Education Conferences
- Building a Nation of Character
- Helping Kids to Handle Hardship
- Developing Democratic Character
- Making a Difference in High School
- Character and the Class Meeting
- 2001 Summer Conferences in Character Education
- Parenting for Good Character
- Middle School Character Education
- Educating for Character at The Summit
- Teaching Kids About the Value of Respect
- Middle School Resources
- Summer Conferences in Character Education
- A Curriculum for Developing World-Class Citizens
- 12 Ways to Prevent Peer Cruelty
- Honesty: Why It's Still the Best Policy
- The Power of a Compliment
- Nashua, New Hampshire's Community-Wide Character Initiative
- Canandaigua's Community-Wide Character Initiative
- Character Education at Hartford Union High: Becoming a "1st Class School"
- Improving Bus Behavior by Teaching Kids to Be "Bus Buddies"
- PREVIEW: Family Movie & TV Review
- 30 Ways Mayors and Local Government Can Promote Good Character
- The Presidential Scandal: A Teachable Moral Moment
- Action Research "By Accident": Language at Lansing Middle School
- "Life Lessons" at Troup High School
- Fostering Goodness Through Children's Literature
- Books That Build Character
- The Choices We Get To Make
- Maintaining Momentum in a Character Education Program
- Virtue of the Week at Buck Lodge
- Learning and Living the Character Message
- Ten Tips for Raising Children of Character
- Teaching My Younger Sister About Sex and Love: Countering "Going To Do It Anyway"
- Educating the Head, the Heart and the Hand
- Children Always Respecting Everyone: Forestville's C.A.R.E. Program
- What's Working at Wellwood Middle School
- The 11 Commandments of Character Education Leadership
- Potential Sources of Funding for Character Education
- Check Out These Web Sites
- Character Education at Wasatch High: An Eight-Point Plan
- Character Education in the Classroom
- The Character of Education: Promises to Keep
- Homer School-Business Partnership Promotes Character
- 1997 Summer Institute in Character Education
- K-12 Character Education in Locust Valley
- "Friendship" Begins Virtues Program at Wellwood Middle School
- First Summer Institute Gives Participants New Hope
- From the Director . . .
- Setting a Good Example: A Faculty Self-Inventory
- 2nd Annual Summer Institute Set for June 24-28, 1996
- Whatever Happened to Good Manners?
- Standing Tall: The Heroes' Path to Character