Prospective students are encouraged to consult the Graduate Catalog and the information below for more information about the application process.
- Completed online Graduate School Application - Apply Now
- Official transcripts from all institutions of higher learning attended to be forwarded directly to SUNY Cortland Graduate Admissions Office, indicating a major in a liberal arts area Note: candidates for admission must present evidence of bachelor's degree conferral prior to the start of their academic program.
- Two letters of reference, preferably from undergraduate professors teaching in English, writing or comparative literature courses (submitted online with the application)
Preference will be given to candidates with the following:
- An overall undergraduate grade point average of 3.0 and above on a 4.0 scale
- An overall undergraduate grade point average of at least 3.0 in English courses, writing or comparative literature courses
- A minimum of 24 credit hours of approved undergraduate courses in English, writing or comparative literature
- A foreign language is desirable at the time of admission, but the requirement may be met concurrently with graduate study. Competency in a foreign language is defined as the skill level attained by one year of college-level study or the equivalent of a language other than English.
Fall semester applications: July 1
Spring semester applications: Dec. 1
Summer semester applications: April 1
Applications submitted after the deadline may be considered on a space availability basis.
Please contact the Graduate Admissions Office at 607-753-4800 to check availability.