Physical Education (M.S.T.) Program
The M.S.T. program is designed for people interested in teaching physical education who do not possess a teaching certificate or who hold an initial certification in another subject area. Coursework is informed by the highest standards of the Society of Health and Physical Educators (SHAPE), Adapted Physical Education National Standards (APENS) and the New York State Learning Standards in Physical Education.
Two Certificate Tracks
Two options include Track A for students who are not certified (55 credit hours) and Track B for students who are previously certified in another subject area (43 credit hours). Beyond graduate-level core courses in physical education, both tracks provide the knowledge and skills that integrate physical education theory with hand-on practice.
Students sit for a comprehensive exam to complete a culminating master's thesis. Students in Track A, the initial certificate program, will student teach for one semester after their comprehensive exam.
- Completed online Graduate School Application: Apply Now
- Official transcripts from all institutions of higher learning attended to be forwarded directly to the SUNY Cortland Graduate Admissions Office
Note: candidates for admission must present evidence of bachelor's degree conferral prior to the start of their academic program.
- A resume, which must include the contact information for three references. One of those contacts must be a public school employee (submitted online with the application). The recommendation form is available through the application.
- Letter of application indicating why you are interested in the program (submitted online with the application)
- Track B requires documentation of initial certification within six months of starting classes.
Please note that applicants no longer are required to submit scores for entrance exams such as the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) or Miller Analogies Test (MAT).
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution
- An undergraduate cumulative grade point average of 3.0 or above on a 4.0 scale
- Initial teaching certificate and documentation of initial certification in an area other than Physical Education for admission to Track B.
- Successful completion of the edTPA or PRAXIS (Track B only)
- Successful completion of Human Anatomy I and Physiology