English Graduate Programs
Overview of the Programs
The English Department at SUNY Cortland offers advanced study in English literatures, professional writing and cultural studies.
Featuring advanced study in English literatures, pedagogy, professional writing, and cultural studies, the SUNY Cortland English Department offers both an M.A. program in English Literatures and an M.A.T. program in Adolescence English Education for prospective teachers of secondary English language arts.
Our faculty are scholar-teachers whose research spans time periods, languages and literatures across the globe. These outstanding professionals invite you into a vibrant intellectual community that moreover provides excellent preparation for your chosen career.
Our program offers:
- Outstanding Faculty: Study with award-winning teachers and accomplished scholars
- Flexibility: Complete the program at a pace that works best for you
- Affordability: Take advantage of a great value at a low cost (additional funding opportunities exist for out-of-state and international
- Teacher Certification: Gain your certification through our M.A.T. program or – if you already hold initial certification - complete your professional certification through our M.A. program
- Location: Conveniently located close to Ithaca, Syracuse, and Binghamton
Our students have successfully gone on to careers in secondary and college level teaching. They have become writers, gone on to law school, become successful business people, and have gone on for further graduate study at the Ph.D. level.