COVID-19 Safety Information

Student Staff Application Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

I am having trouble viewing the application, what should I do?

Please try to open the application using a different internet browser. Users have experienced trouble accessing the application through certain browsers. If trouble persists, please try to access the application using a campus computer.

What is the group interview like?

Teamwork is a crucial skill that any potential student staff member must possess. The group interview is a two hour process where candidates will have the ability to interact with one another in a small group setting. You will be able to demonstrate teamwork and utilize critical thinking skills through various activities that RHDs will be facilitating. Candidates will not be directly evaluated during this process.

I’m a commuter student, or live off campus; can I still be a staff member?

Absolutely! We welcome students to apply whether they are living on campus or off campus. Commuter applicants should take some time to visit the residence halls and talk to RAs, and students in different buildings to learn about life on campus.

What if I don’t meet the GPA requirement?

You must have at least a 2.5 cumulative GPA, in order to qualify for the RA position

If I have been documented through student conduct, or have been arrested by the City of Cortland, can I still apply?

You must be in good conduct standing with SUNY Cortland and Residence Life and Housing. Good conduct standing means: you are not currently on probation nor have been evicted from housing, nor are you currently suspended, expelled, or on interim suspension from the university. In addition, you must not have any incomplete sanctions with the Office of Student Conduct.

If hired to work for the Residence Life and Housing Office, can I work another job outside of the RA position?

Student staff are permitted to work 10 hours with an outside office

I cannot find the answer I am looking for, what should I do?

Please contact the office at 607-753-4723 or