Student FAQ

Degree Works Viewing on a Laptop

Degree Works FAQ For Students

The following frequently asked questions are designed to help students navigate and interpret Degree Works worksheets.


Viewing and Using the Worksheet

Course and Schedule Planning


What is Degree Works?

Degree Works is a powerful and comprehensive degree auditing program that SUNY Cortland is adopting to replace the CAPP Degree Audit. Like CAPP, Degree Works is a web-based, degree-auditing tool which gives students the ability to review their academic progress, course completion, and progress towards graduation. Degree Works will replace CAPP for all undergraduate students beginning in early fall 2014. Graduate students will continue to use CAPP until spring 2015. The new Degree Works worksheets and tools provide additional functionality and resources not present in CAPP including a comprehensive academic history summary, the ability to use "what-if" scenarios for specific courses, and the ability to quickly assess progress using progress meters.

What is a "worksheet?"

This is the term used to refer to the output that was called the "audit" in CAPP.  "Worksheet" is essentially a new term to refer to the "audit".

Can I Print and Save My Worksheet?

Yes.  You may print your worksheet using standard printing tools.  for the bet results, we recommend you use the Save as PDF function.  The PDF output is specially styled for readability and saving.  A PDF can be saved your hard drive or network space, and can even be mailed to your advisor if you are corresponding or seeking advice.

Can I access Degree Works on any computer?

Yes. Degree Works is a web based tool. It will work on virtually all modern web browsers. Older web browsers that do not comply with current web standards may experience display issues.  Officially supported desktop browsers are: Chrome, Safari, Internet Explorer (9+) and Firefox.

Is my data safe and secure?

Yes. Like other tools within myRedDragon, Degree Works is accessed through a secure log in on SUNY secure servers. Advisors, faculty, and many members of the College professional staff are also able to securely view information contained within Degree Works.

How current is the information in Degree Works?

The student data within Degree Works is refreshed nightly. Any changes made today (e.g., grade changes or classes added/dropped) will be seen in your Degree Works worksheet tomorrow.  However, you see the immediate effect of a new registration or change by using the What-if or Look Ahead features of Degree Works.

What do I do if information is missing, or Degree Works is not up-to-date?

Data is refreshed nightly.  If a change was made after the nightly refresh, your data may not be visible until the next day.  Additionally, if there was a course substitution or advisor or dean initiated change, paperwork may be awaiting approval for posting, or may be in-process.  You are advised to consult your academic advisor with any questions.

Who do I contact if my information is incorrect?

Students should contact their academic advisor if information appears to be incorrect, or is not filtering into requirement areas as you expected.  Your advisor will work with the Associate Deans and Registrar to troubleshoot and research reported issues.

Are my grades available in Degree Works?

Yes. Your grades are visible in Degree Works for the purposes of planning and requirement fulfillment.  Final grades, however, may not be visible until grading closes at the end of the term. The official record of grades is the transcript.

Can I see all of my course history in Degree Works?

Degree Works uses any information that is currently included on your transcript. You will be able to view any courses that have been assessed up to the nightly refresh. You may also see a succinct summary of all of your courses and terms, by clicking the Academic History link at the top of the worksheet.

What does the @ symbol mean when it appears on the worksheet?

The @ symbol is used as a wild card in Degree Works. If you see @ with course numbers after it (Example: @ 400:499) it means that you can take any subject area within  the number range — in this case, any 400 level course from any subject area. If @ appears after the subject  (Example: SOC @), it means that you can take any course within the subject area — in this case, any Sociology course.  If you see @@ (double) followed by an attribute or general education requirement (Example: @ @ with Attribute CG08),  it means any subject and/or number with the attribute -- in this case any General Education 8 course.

What does the ~ symbol mean when it appears on the worksheet?

This symbols means a requirement is partially complete. This single ~ may appear on a set of requirements using in-progress courses to show completion.  A double ~ indicates additional requirements are needed, and that you are advised to consult your advisor.

Tilda Image

My progress bar shows that I have at least 100% of credits, yet I'm not complete. How is this possible?

Because students can exceed the minimum credit hours required to complete a degree, Degree Works can accurately show 100% or more on the credit bar, even if you have not completed specific course and area requirements in your program. For this reason, Degree Works features two progress meters: credits and requirements.  Please review your major, minor and general education areas to be assured all requirements are complete.  Consult your academic advisor with any questions about your progress toward a degree.

How does Degree Works differ from a transcript?

The transcript is the official record of grades and experiences at SUNY Cortland. The Degree Works worksheets are tools provided to help you visualize your requirements and assess your progress toward degree and your fulfillment of requirements.

How do I update my major, minor or program information in Degree Works?

You cannot update this information directly in Degree Works.  As with CAPP, you must complete a change of program form to change your major, minor or program.  You may, however, use the What-if feature of Degree Works to see how your courses and experiences  apply to another program Cortland offers.

Can I see what courses are being offered in Degree Works?

Yes.  if you click on a linked course or requirement, a small window will pop-up showing the courses that are available in current or forthcoming terms. To register, you will use the existing course registration tools in myRedDragon.

What is a What-if?

The What-if function allows you to see how your current courses and experiences would apply toward the fulfillment of a different major, minor, concentration or program. The What-if worksheet will show you the requirements, how your completed or in-progress courses would specifically apply, and what requirements or courses would still be needed to complete the new program.  

Can I see if my current coursework will fit into a new major or program?

Yes. The What-if feature gives you the ability to "test" new major, minor, concentration or program options.

What does the new Look Ahead feature do?

The Look Ahead feature allows students to see how projected/future courses would fit into their degree program. Previously, you would be required to register for a course in myRedDragon before the CAPP could show you how the course applied. Degree Works lets you test out courses (whether they are on the schedule or not) by "looking ahead." Once you input projected courses, they will appear on your worksheet as "Planned Term" courses, and you can see how a courses will help you fulfill requirements in your degree.