2020 Peer2Peer Retreat Antlers Lodge, Raquette Lake, NY
Peer2Peer Mentor Information
Application for mentors to apply is April 17, 2020
Do you have a passion for helping others? If so, we encourage you to apply to be a Peer2Peer Mentor. This mentorship program is sponsored by the Multicultural Life and Diversity Office. As a mentor in the Peer2Peer Mentor Program, you will assist first-year students of underrepresented and marginalized backgrounds in navigating and adjusting to the SUNY Cortland campus. Mentors will be responsible for meeting with their mentee(s) twice a month individually and for attending our once a month group meetings.
You will have the opportunity to build substantial new relationships by helping students become more accustomed to collegiate life and by creating a community that they feel they are welcomed and included in. As a mentor, you will also get to attend the Annual Diversity Retreat in the Fall 2020 semester!
Must have at least sophomore status (56.5 ch completed) at time of application
Must have junior status by the start of Fall 2020 semester, when program starts
Must be in good academic standing
Must have GPA of 2.5 or higher
Must be able to attend the mandatory retreat in Raquette Lake from Friday, Sept. 4, 2020 to Sunday, Sept. 6, 2020
Must be available and commit to participate for a full academic year (fall and spring); estimated time contributed 20 hours/semester plus weekend retreat
Mentors will receive half a credit each semester. Registering for the half credit is not optional.
Peer2Peer Mentee Information
Peer2Peer Mentee Application will be out soon
Application for first year students to apply is Monday, July 27
Peer2Peer mentorship program is sponsored by the Multicultural Life and Diversity Office. This program will assist first-year students of underrepresented and marginalized backgrounds in navigating and adjusting to the SUNY Cortland campus by connecting them with successful juniors and seniors.
First years will have the opportunity to build substantial new relationships and become more accustomed to collegiate life. They will attend a weekend trip at Raquette Lake and will be a part of a community in which they will feel welcomed and included in. The Retreat in the fall semester is on Friday, Sept. 4, 2020 to Sunday, Sept. 6, 2020 .
What will you gain from Peer2Peer (P2P)?
- Meeting and bonding with all the mentors and mentees
- Getting a mentor who can help you:
- “Learn the ropes” at SUNY Cortland
- Connect you to resources on campus
- Develop relationships across campus
- Identify skills that should be developed or improved upon to help you be successful –Ex.: Study skills, time management, getting involved outside the classroom, etc.
- Fall 2020 must be your first semester at SUNY Cortland
- Identify as a member of a historically underrepresented or marginalized student population
- Attend weekend retreat at Raquette Lake Friday, Sept. 4, 2020 to Sunday, Sept. 6, 2020
- Meet with your mentor once a week for the Fall 2020 and Spring 2021 semester
- Submit four two-page journal entries (two each semester)