SUNY Cortland International Programs is pleased to announce that New York State and SUNY have approved the reopening of select study abroad programs in regions considered to be experiencing lower COVID-related risks. SUNY Cortland has sent two spring cohorts of students to the American University in Cairo in Egypt and the University of Salamanca in Spain for Spring 2022. Other SUNY campuses have also reopened several approved programs, and we have continued to welcome visiting and exchange students from our international partner universities.
With the exciting relaunch of these spring study abroad programs, we are expecting to be able to offer students an expanded number of international experiences in Summer and Fall 2022, pending SUNY approval. Our applications for Summer and Fall are open, and students are invited to apply. The following programs have been approved for Summer 2022 reopening. If a program does not appear on the list below, its reopening is still pending:
• Costa Rica: Universidad Veritas
• Egypt: American University in Cairo
• Ireland: Dingle Summer Art
• Ireland: University College Cork
• U.K.: London Metropolitan University
• U.K.: Medieval England
We encourage students interested in studying abroad, whether this summer, fall, or beyond, to visit our online program catalog, attend one of our Study Abroad 101 sessions, or contact our office to learn about program options and status.
The health of our students is our highest priority. When making decisions on the status of our international programs, we carefully track guidance provided by the Center for Disease Control (CDC), the World Health Organization (WHO), the U.S. State Department, the New York State Department of Health, our partner institutions, and local agencies. As we reopen our study abroad programs, we remain vigilant about global and local health and safety factors, and we are here to advise students considering study abroad on the potential health, academic, and financial risks and how to manage them through careful planning and following recommended or required guidelines.
Please read below for information on how you can stay informed and ready to study abroad in the future:
• The U.S. Department of State and CDC (Center for Disease Control) have specific travel advisory levels for each country. Consult with each website for more information. For country specific information, visit the U.S. Department of State Travel Advisories Website and Contact Info for Foreign Embassies and Consulates.
• We encourage students to talk with one of our advisors as you consider applying to study. Please note that applications are due by the March 15 deadline for Summer 2022 study abroad programs, or by the April 1 deadline for Fall 2022 programs.
• Prepare an academic back-up plan. It is always a good idea to have a fully developed back-up plan for the time you intend to study abroad, such as a different program or country, or studying at your home campus.
• FAQ for Students and Families: What to Expect from a Study Abroad Experience in the Age of COVID-19
• Monitor the following websites for updated information such as travel warnings and restrictions:
Center for Disease, Control and Prevention (CDC)
SUNY Cortland COVID-19 Safety Information
U.S Department of State Travel Advisories
Please reach out to your study abroad advisor, contact email@example.com or call our office at 607-753-2209 with any questions.