Orientation sessions occur throughout July.
Your academic major determines the specific dates available (PDF).
There is limited enrollment for each session based on first-come, first-served.
Sign up to attend
You will receive a mailing in May. You can then sign up for a specific session through your myRedDragon. Complete ALL of these steps by June 1.
- Select "Admissions" from the top header in myRedDragon.
- Locate the "Orientation" box on the right side of the page.
- Select the menu link "New Student Orientation Sign Up".
- Complete all of the required fields, including providing information about any courses completed for which you received college credit (AP, IB, courses offered through local college). For specific information, review First-Year Students with College Credit.
- Select your Orientation date.
- Add information about any family members or guests who would like to attend Family Orientation.
- Confirm your attendance at Orientation and pay any guest fees.
If you need to change your session date after you have signed up online, call our office at 607-753-4727 to see if there is still space available.
The new student fee on your student bill covers the cost of orientation, your ID card, and resources and activities throughout the first few weeks of the semester.
Family Orientation and Guest Fees:
- Guest Fee Option 1: $60
- includes program, meals and materials
- Guest Fee Option 2: $80
- includes program, meals, materials and on-campus housing, including linens and towel
All incoming first-year students attend one of our programs. Our program is built on providing you with strategies to be successful by helping you make a smooth transition. Through the Orientation program you will:
- Learn about campus resources
- Learn about your academic major
- Get a preview of campus life
- Spend the night in one of our campus residence halls
- Learn about academic and campus policies
- Meet with a faculty advisor
- Set your class schedule
- Learn strategies for a great first semester
- Meet other new students
- Have fun!
Check-in is at 10 a.m. in Corey Union. (Directions to SUNY Cortland) The program will end about 2 p.m. on the second day. View a Sample Orientation Schedule (PDF).
What to bring
- Your Email Confirmation
- Twin sheets, blanket/sleeping bag, and pillow
- Alarm clock
- Toiletries, shower shoes, and towel
- Fan or umbrella (depending on weather)
- Comfortable clothes
- Sneakers/tennis shoes
- Any documentation about college or AP credits you expect to transfer to Cortland
- Your questions and concerns
- Energy and a positive attitude
Visit Frequently asked questions.