For Fall 2020, all study carrels will be “day-use,” meaning they will only be used by one person per day. This will allow Memorial Library custodial staff to clean and disinfect rooms after every use. We have also removed extra chairs to prohibit use by more than one person at a time. There are 34 students study carrels available
In an effort to provide more individual study space for students, we will limit faculty use to two study carrels for the semester.
Introduction (this is the pre-COVID policy and not applicable in Fall 2020)
Lining the wall on the quiet fourth floor of Memorial Library are 36 study carrels (individual rooms) furnished with table space and two chairs. These carrels provide a private space for individuals to conduct scholarly research. There is no charge to use a carrel.
Six carrels are available for full-time faculty to reserve for one semester.
All carrels are assigned on a first-come, first-served basis at the beginning of each semester. Memorial Library will send an email to faculty announcing the availability of carrels for the semester and linking to an electronic form for those wishing to apply for a carrel for the semester.
Carrels may be shared by two individuals; however, both individuals must apply for a carrel, agree to share the carrel with the other, and develop their own mutually agreeable schedule.
After the maximum number of applications has been received, carrels will be reserved and applicants will be notified. This process takes about a week.
Faculty may reapply for a carrel each semester; however, the carrels will be assigned on a first-come, first-served basis. A previous semester carrel assignment does not translate into an automatic assignment for the following semester.
Faculty who have applied for and been assigned a carrel for five consecutive semesters are not eligible for a sixth consecutive semester. They may reapply for a carrel after waiting for one semester.
- The study carrels are furnished with a built-in table and one chair. All furniture must remain inside the carrel; no additional library or personal furniture may be added.
- Occupants should not use nails, tape, or otherwise attaching objects to the carrel walls, doors, or windows. Occupants are responsible for paying for any damage to the walls, doors, windows and furniture.
- Carrel keys will be checked in and out at The Help Center each time an assignee uses the room. A carrel key may not be taken out of the building and must be returned each day at closing.
- Library materials used in the carrels and stored there must be checked out through The Help Center located in the lobby of the library building.
- Study carrel occupants are expected to observe the library hours of operation and vacate the building when the library closes or in case of emergency.
- Study carrels are located in a designated quiet area; if the noise level in a carrel becomes too high or a complaint is made, a library representative will ask the noise to cease. If multiple complaints or disruptive situations continue, the occupant will lose their carrel privileges, be asked to remove belongings, and return the key.
- Memorial Library reserves the right to enter the study carrel and inspect the contents without prior notice to the occupants. Any unchecked library materials will be removed.
- Memorial Library and SUNY Cortland are not responsible for personal property left in the study carrels.
- Occupants may not loan their keys or designate reservation of the carrel to another individual.
- All personal items must be removed from carrels on the last day of exams for each semester. Overdue notices will be issued as appropriate. Replacement costs for non-return of a key is $50.00.
Faculty Study Carrel Signup and Assignment Procedures
- At the beginning of each semester, the library will issue an invitation to the campus faculty to sign up for study carrels. Individuals will fill out the online form and submit to the library. Faculty must reapply each semester.
- The library staff will receive the time-stamped reservation forms and assign to the first six. Those who successfully reserve a carrel will be informed by email.
- Carrels may be shared by two individuals; however, both individuals must apply for a carrel, agree to share the carrel with each other, and develop their own mutually agreeable schedule.
- After receiving email confirmation that a study carrel has been assigned, the key must be checked out at least once from The Help Center within two weeks of the notification. Faculty that do not check out their key at least once within 14 days will forfeit their reservation and the carrel will be assigned to another requestor.
- Faculty that have applied for and been assigned a carrel for five consecutive semesters are not eligible for a sixth consecutive semester. They may reapply for a carrel after waiting for one semester.