General Eligibility Requirements for Financial Aid
The following eligibility requirements must be met before you can receive any type of financial assistance. Additionally, some forms of federal, state and institutional awards have specific criteria – please review SUNY Cortland Financial Aid Terms and Conditions for more information.
- Enroll in an eligible degree or certificate program at SUNY Cortland. Only courses toward your degree requirements count for financial aid purposes.
- Enroll in a sufficient number of credit hours each semester. Your financial aid is calculated based on credit hours enrolled and completed. Federal and NYS financial aid eligibility will be adjusted if credit hour requirements are not met.
- Meet SUNY Cortland’s standards for Satisfactory Academic Progress.
- Have not defaulted on a federal education loan or owe a repayment on a federal grant at SUNY Cortland or any other institution.
- Have not borrowed in excess of the federal aggregate loan limit.
- Provide all requested information to the financial aid office.
- Use financial aid for educational purposes only.
- Be a US Citizen, permanent resident or eligible non citizen.
- Have a valid Social Security number.
- Have a high school diploma, GED/TASC or completed a high school education in a homeschool setting approved under state law.