Welcome to the Field Experience and School Partnerships Office! As an education major, our staff will assist in placing you for early field experience and student teaching.
Early Field Experience
Certification requirements established by the New York State Education Department (NYSED) mandate that you, as a teacher candidate, complete 100 hours of fieldwork in classrooms prior to student teaching. Once you register for a course with a field component attached, an announcement is automatically forwarded to your Personal Announcements in myRedDragon instructing you to complete a Teacher Candidate Data Sheet.
After beginning your placement, you will maintain an Early Field Experience Field Work Log to track your hours/criteria. Upon completion of your field experience, you will obtain your host teacher's signature and submit the log sheet to your course instructor. Completed log sheets are kept in your folder which is maintained by your department/program of study.
You must apply through your department/program of study during the semester prior to student teaching. You must also pass two distinct eligibility checks at designated points in time to ensure you have satisfied all criteria for student teaching.
All SUNY teacher candidates are required to have at least one student teaching placement in a high needs school. Transportation is the responsibility of the teacher candidate and you should be prepared to drive at least one hour to the school sites.
Please familiarize yourself with the Student Teaching Handbook. The college requests that student teachers provide online mid-quarter and final evaluations (STE's) for each quarter.
We look forward to meeting and working with you as you prepare to meet your educational and professional goals!
Teacher Candidate Forms and Resources
Early Field Experience/Practicum
- Teacher Candidate Data Sheet (during session)
- Teacher Candidate Data Sheet (during winter/summer break)
- Literacy Graduate Student Data Sheet
- Teaching Students with Disabilities Grad Student Data Sheet
- Early Field Experience Log Sheet
- Pre-Student Teaching Handbook
- Top Ten Hints for a Successful Field Placement
- Courses with Field Work Component
- Fingerprinting Information
- Student Teacher Evaluation (online instructions)
- Student Teacher Evaluation (PDF)
- Student Teaching Absence Request Form
- Summary Record of Absence
- Emergency Contact Form (PDF)
- Student Teacher Evaluation of the Cooperating Teacher Form (PDF)
- Student Teacher Evaluation of the College Supervisor (PDF)