Do you need to find someone to lease your
off-campus room while studying abroad?
Before you Travel Abroad, Please:
- Fill out the study abroad application, request transcripts from each higher education institution you attended, ask for references, and complete all of the required forms.
- Secure your passport OR check to make sure your passport is valid for AT LEAST SIX MONTHS AFTER your return date to the United States.
- Pay your bill online using myRedDragon. Click here for instructions on how to log-on to myRedDragon.
- Be sure you have adequate insurance and review the HTH health insurance checklist
- Read SUNY Cortland's very own international student online magazine: NeoVox!
- Read the health profile of locations around the world on the Center for Disease Control (CDC) website.
- Review the U.S. Department of State safety and security guide for your destination country.
- Register with the U.S. Department of State to receive emergency information while you are abroad. Also visit the Students Abroad website and print out a Smart Traveler Wallet Card.
- Learn about culture shock and the American identity abroad and take the time to browse the World Citizens Guide
- Prepare yourself for cultural differences, international experiences, and self-discovery through the interactive "What's up with Culture?" guide (courtesy of Dr. Bruce LaBrack, School of International Studies, University of the Pacific). Please complete Module 1 before going abroad and Module 2 as soon as you return from abroad.
- Learn about Skype (an inexpensive way to stay in touch with family and friends)
- Give Power of Attorney to a parent or guardian.
- To learn about overseas banking, money matters, and staying in touch, review our travel tips
- Have a wonderful time and, before you leave, be sure to complete this checklist!