Many local not-for-profit organizations, government entities, and businesses operate with limited resources. They do not always have the time, resources, or expertise to allocate towards opportunities that would bring change to their organization, business, or the community. The Community Innovation Project’s (CIP) mission is to increase the capacity of local agencies and businesses. To accomplish this, the CIP will leverage the creative capital of SUNY Cortland and the Cortland community and encourage collaboration and the open exchange of ideas to find new creative solutions to community problems.
1. Improve the marketing and communications of local organizations and businesses
2. Improve the capacity of local organizations and businesses through program evaluation, design, and development
3. Build stronger campus-community partnerships
4. Encourage a culture of innovation among non-profit leaders, local businesses, and students
5. Develop students’ understanding of participation and pathways for active involvement in their communities
The Innovation Lab will operate out of Main Street SUNY Cortland and offer services that may include the following:
Marketing, design, and communications resource center
Collaborative working space for program evaluation, design, development, and deployment
Outreach Center for student organizations and clubs
Building Community Leaders
Students will develop these skills through a combination of coursework and internships. Working through the Innovation Lab as part of a capstone project, student teams will work on real-life projects to develop solutions and present their recommendations for possible implementation. Students could also work — through internships and service-learning opportunities — as part of deployment teams to implement their solutions.