What is West Campus Apartments?
Is your student talking about living at West Campus Apartments? Are you not sure how you feel about it? Rest easy!
Your student will be able to experience more independent living while still having access to trained SUNY Cortland professional and student staff members and University Police, and a connection to the campus community. All SUNY Cortland and residence hall policies are in place and enforced to keep your student safe and healthy while learning to live independently. West Campus Apartments is the only apartment complex that guarantees your student will be housed with only SUNY Cortland students.
What makes West Campus Apartments an option my student should consider?
- Save you or your student money- the room rate includes all utilities, cable (with premium channels like HBO), internet, heat, and trash removal. Your student will not have the worries of paying for monthly bills, saving quarters for the Laundromat (free laundry), or buying Cortland blue bags for trash removal. In addition, your student can choose to opt out of the meal plan and purchase their own groceries to prepare meals in their fully equipped kitchen.
- Fully furnished apartments- your mind can be put to rest by not having to worry about purchasing furniture. The College maintains all furniture to ensure quality for your student. All apartments come furnished with:
- Dining room- table and four chairs
- Living room- couch, two chairs, coffee table, end table, and floor lamp
- Kitchen- full size refrigerator, full size stove/oven, dishwasher, microwave
- Bedroom- standard twin size bed, dresser, desk, chair, and closet
- Transportation- your student will be able to utilize the campus busing system to get to and from campus. There is also busing available on weekends that will transport your student to local stores. No need to have a car!
- Convenient parking- if your student does have a car, they will have access to convenient parking close to their apartment building.
- Open over all breaks- if your student is student teaching, has an internship that requires them to be in the Cortland area during the College breaks or has an off campus job they need to be in town for, they can stay in their apartment- no need to find alternative living arrangements or stay with friends. This is also a great option if your work schedule makes picking your student up for breaks difficult- no need to work around residence hall closing times.
- Safe and secure- each apartment building is equipped with card access, allowing only residents of that building to enter. There is a staff member on duty every night that does rounds of the complex and is available to assist your student with questions and concerns they have about school or their living situation. University Police patrols the complex regularly and is there to serve only SUNY Cortland.
- Full time staff- West Campus Apartments is staffed with a residence hall director, four resident assistants, and one administrative assistant. The residence hall director is a full time professional staff member that serves as the ad ministrator to the complex and is available to assist your student.
- Lots to do- the recreation center has a pool table, ping pong table, electric dart board, three TVs, and two computers. Your student can also get involved by participating in hall council, a student organization consisting of West Campus Apartment residents that provides events for residents and offers leadership opportunities. Resident assistants also provide social and educational opportunities for your student. There is a large grassy area that will allow your student to get outside and play wiffle ball, volleyball, or just to sit outside and study.
If you have more questions about West Campus Apartments, visit the West Campus Apartments Web page or call Residence Life and Housing: (607) 753-4724.