Cross Registration Petition
Petition to Cross-Register
Undergraduate SUNY Cortland students are permitted to petition to cross-register at another SUNY institution in accord with the SUNY cross-registration policies and guidelines. Cross-registered courses are considered transfer courses at SUNY Cortland. Students are required to complete the Permission to Transfer Credit process when cross-registering.
This process was established to (1) strengthen an academic program by including a course or courses not taught by the home institution; (2) resolve a course scheduling conflict that delays timely program completion; or (3) utilize existing faculty, facilities, and resources more efficiently. The Associate Dean will consider requests based on whether a viable pathway for resolving course scheduling conflicts exists at SUNY Cortland, and/or if avenues for strengthening the program exists at SUNY Cortland.
NOTE: Submission deadlines are December 1 for spring courses and July 1 for fall courses.
- Review the host college website or materials to determine the course offerings for a given semester.
- Use the transfer equivalency charts to check the course equivalent. If the course is not on the charts, obtain and print out a course description.
- Print out the Permission to Transfer Credit form and review the policies on the form regarding transfer of credit.
- Make an appointment with your academic advisor at Cortland. Speak to him/her about your plans and how the course fits into your degree requirements/CAPP. Obtain your advisor's signature/approval on the permission form.
- Print out and complete Permission to Transfer Credit form, and bring it to the Advisement and Transition Office (Memorial Library A-111) before December 1 for Spring, and July 1 for Fall.
- Print out and complete the Cross-Registration Agreement form, and deliver it to your Associate Dean for review and approval before December 1 for Spring, and July 1 for Fall.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Due to the need to coordinate between institutions, late submissions of the Cross-Registration Agreement cannot be accepted.
- If you are planning to cross-register at a community college, you should contact the County Clerk in the county of your residence to obtain a Certificate of Residency early in the process.
- The Associate Dean will review your cross-registration petition and submit it to the Registrar.
- The Registrar’s Office will contact you with the decision when the form processing is complete.
- Students will take a copy of the completed Cross-Registration Agreement to the host institution to register for the course(s). The Registrar's Office will send the original with the college seal.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Students attending a community college must provide a copy of the Certificate of Residency to the community college. If a Certificate of Residency is required, a copy must also be provided to the SUNY Cortland Registrar at least one week before classes begin at the host institution.
- After you successfully register at the host institution, a copy of the form signed by the host institution must be returned to the Registrar’s Office at SUNY Cortland.