Cross Registration FAQ - SUNY Cortland

Cross Registration FAQ

Registrar's FAQ › Undergraduate Cross-Registration

Does SUNY Cortland register me at the host school?

Registration is the responsibility of the student. You must check with the host institution to confirm how they plan to process your form, enrollment, and determine if there is any necessary additional information or paperwork required to complete the process. You must also determine who you must contact if your enrollment changes, or you choose to withdraw. NOTE: Registration dates and deadlines vary by college. You are responsible for contacting the host institution for registration related dates and deadlines, and determining which office(s) are responsible for signing your form.

Does the cross-registration policy include non-SUNY schools?

No. The SUNY cross-registration agreement only includes SUNY state-operated campuses, Empire State College, community colleges and SUNY University Centers. At this time, the following are also excluded: (1) instructional arrangements with CUNY or independent/private colleges and universities; (2) academic programs jointly offered by more than one SUNY campus; (3) SUNY’s statutory colleges at Cornell and Alfred Universities, (4) instructional arrangements between Environmental Science and Forestry (ESF) and Syracuse University; (5) State-Operated branch campuses co-located with a SUNY community college; (6) Study Abroad programs; and (7) International Programs. 

Does the cross-registration policy include summer or winter sessions?

No. Currently the cross-registration agreement only includes major fall and spring terms.  Mini-terms and quarter terms are also excluded according to SUNY policy.

Do cross-registered courses count as transfer courses, and apply to limits?

Yes. Cross-registered courses are treated as standard transfer courses. Please consult the college catalog, and speak with your advisor to understand the impact on transfer course limits, residency requirements and program requirements.  Because courses are transfer courses, students will complete the standard permission to transfer process when petitioning to cross-register.

Can I enroll for less than 12 hours at Cortland with additional hours elsewhere to be full time?

No. You must be full time at SUNY Cortland before enrolling elsewhere. The SUNY policy requires full time enrollment in order to satisfy matriculation and aid requirements at home institutions.  There are no exceptions granted to this aspect of the policy.

What do I do if I withdraw from a course at SUNY Cortland or the host school?

You are responsible for notifying the appropriate offices on BOTH campuses if you withdraw from any course(s) within 5 business days. Failure to do so can result in a failing grade at the host institution. SUNY Cortland students must notify their advisor and the Registrar in writing within 5 business days.

You are required to notify the SUNY Cortland Registrar and the host institution if your enrollment status changes. Changes in enrollment may impact your financial aid, and may result in tuition and fees being due to the host institution. Please be advised that if you drop below full-time at your home institution, you may be liable for tuition at the host institution.  

What if I want to take an elective course that would not qualify as a cross-registered course?

While elective and non-degree courses may not qualify for cross-registration, students are welcome to pursue coursework at a host institution under a traditional transfer arrangement. 

Why are repeated courses discounted in the 12 credit hour count?

A student who has received a passing grade and chooses to re-take that course is not earning new credit - credit for a specific course can only be earned once. Any re-takes must be scheduled in addition to twelve full credits of new coursework to maintain full-time status.  

Why do I need to file a Certificate of Residency at a community college host?

State law requires community colleges to verify that students are state residents. The Certificate of Residency proves you are a New York state resident. In order to qualify, you must prove you have lived in New York State for 12 months prior to registration and in the same county for at least six months. If you lived in more than one county in the past six months, you will need certificates from each county.