Banner Access

Student Advising Photo

Requesting Banner Client and Self Service Access

All of the following guidelines are provided for your convenience, and to assist you when requesting access to systems.  Access provision and the use of the system is governed by SUNY Cortland's Acceptable Use policies and the Information Resources policies included in the College Handbook. All system access is granted by Information Resources. The Registrar's Office supports the process by confirming access needs in accord with information security policies and FERPA.  

Please allow a minimum of five business days to make changes to systems access. Because the processes below require mandatory security and access review, you should begin the process at least one week before an employee is scheduled to join the College or change roles. Questions regarding a current access request, may be directed to the SUNY Cortland Information Resources Help Center (607-753-2500 or via email at

SSB (Bannerweb) Access via myRedDragon for Faculty & Staff

Self Service Banner (SSB) is the generic name for the web-based tools provided by the Banner Student Information System. At SUNY Cortland, we include these tools as a feature within myRedDragon. The myRedDragon Self Service Banner (SSB) environment  provides faculty and staff with access to course schedules, course rosters, grade entry tools and also provides access to important advisee and student information.  

There are different levels of access within the myRedDragon Self Service Banner (SSB) environment. In most cases, a standard instructor-level access is granted to new employees. With standard access, an employee receives access to current and past course records, grading, and student rosters and contact information for students enrolled in assigned courses.  If you are a staff member, you will not have access to student data under this role. If your role is department support, you are an academic advisor or other professional requiring student data access, you must make the request through the Registrar's Office using the Self Service Access Request.

New Employees

New employees will receive a NETID (firstname.lastname) as part of their employment orientation.  For assistance regarding your NETID, please contact the Information Resources Help Center (607-753-2500). If you are a new faculty member, you will be granted access to your course records and students as part of this process automatically.  Access is granted when you are assigned to a course.  If you do not see your course information, contact your academic department, to be assured they have completed the Self Service Access Request.  Generally, the academic department will initiate the request before the semester begins.  

Current Employees Changing Roles

If you are a current employee who will be serving as a chair or advisor, and are seeking additional advisor or department chair level access within SSB, you may use the Self Service Access Request form to request a change in role.  Department chairs and advisors receive enhanced access to role-specific tools.

Leaving the College

If an employee is leaving the employment of the College, the Self Service Access Request may also be used to remove or limit access to SSB tools. Please consult Human Resources and/or Information Resources for requirements.

INB (Client) Access for New and Current Employees

Internet Native Banner (INB) is a restricted access tool that is reserved for administrators, department chairs and coordinators who require additional administrative access to records. This is is not the same as Self Service Banner. A Banner user profile and security class must be assigned to individuals to grant access to INB.  A user profile is an ORACLE login ID that is created for an employee so they may access security class-specific resources within the Banner Production Systems (General, Student, Financial Aid, and/or Finance). Users may request access to the Banner Student Information System Client (INB) by accessing myRedDragon and completing the Administrative Computing Services User Profile Authorization Form (see below).  Access to INB is not granted to students.  INB access for test, development and pre-production systems is granted when you have membership on the Banner Committee.

User Profile Authorization Instructions

(1) Log in to myRedDragon

(2) Select the Tech Help tab.

(3) Click the Requests - Forms link.

(4) Select the Banner folder.

Banner Folder Screen Shot

(5) Select the bannerauth.pdf form.

Banner Authorization Screen Shot

(6) Account Creation or Adjustment 

(a) New Account: If you do not yet have a user profile/login, select "Create New User Profile" on the form  

(b) Change an Existing Account: If you are adjusting your current access, requesting additional form access, or reactivating your access, select "Change an Existing User Profile." 

(c) Leaving the College: "Select Terminate an Existing User Profile"

(7) The Student Production System choices will depend on your role and the office you are associated with.  The descriptions below also include routing information.  If you require access to multiple systems, send the form to the first approving office.

(a) CAPP - This is no longer granted, since Degree Works is the primary tool used by the SIS.

(b) STUDENT - Check this box to access student academic history, department reports, and course and curriculum information.  The Registrar's Office is the approving office.  Please send the form to 223 Miller.

(c) A/R (Accounts Receivable) - Select this if you are a business employee or work with College or student financial accounts. The Student Accounts Office is the approving office.  Please send the form to 323 Miller.

(d) ADMISSION - Select this if you work in the Admissions Office or Enrollment Management only. The Assistant VP for Enrollment Management is the approving office.  Please send the form to 116 Miller.

(e) FINANCIAL AID - Select this if you are a Financial Aid employee or work with aid-related student financial accounts. The Director of Financial Aid is the approving office.  Please send the form to 205 Miller.

For additional assistance regarding the module you require access to, you should consult your supervisor.