Study Abroad Course Equivalency Database


Please make sure to read the instructions below before using the database.

*Cortland Faculty: all equivalencies listed on the data base were previously evaluated by a Cortland faculty member and Associate Dean. If you feel that an equivalency is out-of-date or incorrect, please contact Director Mary Schlarb at

SEMESTER PROGRAMS -For Cortland Students on Cortland or Other-SUNY Programs

*Note: For Cortland students on Other-SUNY programs, it is likely that many of your courses will not be found in our course database. So, please be prepared to work with a study abroad advisor at the administering SUNY campus to gather the documentations that you need (course descriptions/syllabi, see below) to request new equivalencies.

While studying abroad through a Cortland or Other-SUNY program, you remain registered as a SUNY Cortland student. Every course that you take abroad needs to be evaluated and assigned a SUNY Cortland equivalent.  SUNY Cortland department chairs and associate deans have assigned equivalents to many overseas courses because past study abroad students have taken them.  Other courses, however, have not yet been evaluated because the course is new or no Cortland student has enrolled in the course before.  Below are instructions for determining whether and how a course has already been assigned an equivalent, or if it has not been, how to request an equivalency.


              On each of our program pages you will find a link to search for courses offered at our partner institutions abroad. Make sure that you are searching for courses offered during the term that you intend to study abroad, keeping in mind that if you are preparing more than six months on advance, the course schedule for your intended term may not yet be available. Select at least 8 courses that interest you. Reach out to a study abroad advisor at if you are having trouble with this step.


Use the Study Abroad Course Equivalency Database to find courses that have already been evaluated and assigned a SUNY Cortland equivalent. Determine whether the courses you want to take are on the list and make sure you understand how many credits you will earn for each course.

Are all of the courses you plan to take listed in the Study Abroad Course Equivalency Database? Great! Skip to Step #4! Don’t see one or more courses you want to take listed in the Study Abroad Course Equivalency Database or the approval has expired? See Step #3.


Complete a Course Equivalency Evaluation Request Form for each course that you wish to take that is not already listed on the Study Abroad Course Database. A course description is required for course evaluation. If you cannot find a course description on the host institution’s website please contact to request assistance from an advisor. Once the request is submitted, the International Programs Office will work with the appropriate academic department to determine an equivalent – we will email you the results and post the equivalent on the Study Abroad Course Database.


  • Once all courses you wish to take abroad have been evaluated and equivalents have been posted to the Study Abroad Course Database. (Remember we require at least 8, even if you intend to take fewer.)
  • You can then fill out the highlighted chart on the course approval form.
  • Once that is complete, make an appointment to discuss your course selections as well as any questions you have about the overseas courses with your study abroad advisor, and obtain their signature.
  • Next, make an appointment to meet with your academic advisor, who will help determine how the courses you’ve selected help to fulfill outstanding degree requirements and any course substitutions that you may need upon your return. Obtain their signature.

Finally, bring your course approval form to your Associate Dean for their final approval and signature. The completed form, with three signatures, should be submitted to the International Programs Office (219 Old Main) or scanned and emailed to

Complete the process (as described above)


All programs led by a SUNY Cortland faculty member are considered faculty-led programs, and the course(s) that are taught on these programs are CORTLAND courses. Therefore, they do not need to be evaluated for Cortland credit. All students on a particular faculty-led program receive credit for the same course(s), which you can find listed in the ACADEMICS section of each program page on our website. If you would like to request that the course be counted as something else, you must discuss the potential for a COURSE SUBSTITUTION directly with your academic advisor. If approved, this is something that you will manage with your academic advisor once the course and grade have been posted to your Degree Works after the program has ended.

We have created a FACULTY-LED PROGRAM ADVISING FORM for you to print, complete, and bring to your faculty advisor to aid in and document this conversation. Once completed it must be uploaded to your application or dropped off at the International Programs Office (Old Main, 2019). We strongly encourage you to do this BEFORE committing to a program.


In order to gain SUNY Cortland credit for any internship abroad, the following criteria must be met:

Students must complete 40 hours of internship work for every 1 academic credit they wish to receive. Students keep a time sheet, provided by the International Programs Office, which is signed by their on-site internship supervisor at the completion of their internship.

Students must engage in an internship course alongside their on-site internship work. Students may choose to have their academic work assigned and overseen by:

  • a faculty member in their home department (example for students doing fieldwork for HLH 499 or completing a major-specific internship requirement)
  • a faculty member at a host institution or organization (example: Jamal Andrewin-Bohn serves as the Faculty of Record for our Belize Internship program)
  • the SUNY Cortland International Programs Office, via an online International Internship course.

Students are responsible for researching their options for academic oversight and communicating their choice to the International Programs Office by submitting the Internship Academic Oversight Form that is also found inside of the program application for any program offering an internship. It should be completed BEFORE departure. If a student fails to communicate an internship placement abroad and/or an academic assignment and oversight option to the International Programs Office, they will not be able to receive academic credit for their experience.


Students will receive credit for participating in the Australia Student Teaching Program in accordance with their home department’s student teaching requirement. A course approval form is not needed.  The International Programs Office will consult with the Field Experience and School Partnerships Office to confirm the exact course needed to fulfill your student teaching requirement and how your Australia Student Teaching experience will fulfill that requirement.